Login Register

Traffic chaos as A39 is closed for two and a half days

By West Briton  |  Posted: November 29, 2012

  • Fire crews working through the night on Saturday in Perranporth pumping water from Station Road, which threatened to flood nearby businesses and houses.

Comments (0)

THE closure of the A39 Truro to Falmouth Road caused traffic chaos on Sunday and Monday evenings and Tuesday morning.

Fire crews had to pump water from the streets of Perranporth and a man from Chacewater witnessed the destruction of his dead father's prized possession.

Truro saw gushing rivers while in Ladock water damaged homes, but residents had the consolation of a free Sunday lunch in the local pub.

Peter Tatlow, a highways engineer from Cornwall Council, said the A39 had to be closed on Sunday and Monday because of flooding and remained closed on Tuesday morning for fear of a landslide.

He said: "A leat alongside the main road was full and the water was pouring out of it. We felt there was a danger that the whole lot might collapse."

The road re-opened at about 12.30pm on Tuesday after a morning of tailbacks and long delays in the Perranwell and Ponsanooth area as drivers tried to find ways around the road closure.

Mr Tatlow said the fire brigade pumped the water out and would be able to deal with the incident more quickly if it repeated.

In Ladock the intense rainfall on Saturday night meant the river flooded the main road through the village.

David Smith, landlord at the Falmouth Arms pub in Ladock, said: "The roads in the centre of the village began to flood. The drains just could not cope."

Mr Smith said residents were out in the streets before and during the floods attempting to clear the drains in vain.

The pub escaped serious flooding but the water got into 12 to 15 properties opposite. Mr Smith offered a free lunch to residents affected by the floods.

In Chacewater, Andrew Louth could not stop the rising water levels around the garage at his mother's house in Buckingham Nip after a culvert became blocked.

Cornwall Council highways staff and firefighters tried to clear the blockage to no avail and the water rose to thigh level.

Mr Louth said: "What I'm upset about is that a Triumph Stag that belonged to my dad, Victor Louth, who died six years ago, was in the garage. With tools and all my things we are talking about £20,000 worth of stuff."

Fire crews spent about six hours pumping water from the bottom of Station Road in the heart of Perranporth on Saturday night in order to prevent water flooding nearby properties.

A number of houses were flooded in The Coombe and Bolingey but damage was kept to a minimum thanks to the resort's £2 million flood alleviation scheme.

The A39 at Perranarworthal was due to be closed tonight and tomorrow night for roadworks.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • First Impressions  |  December 26 2012, 10:21AM

    elfa66 - How true that is. The Penryn River has silted up over the years and needs dredging badly. However, the conservationists aren't happy with the idea. The government needs to take more responsibility for these problems which would help stop rivers overflowing.

    |   4
  • elfa66  |  December 26 2012, 10:12AM

    Why doesn't the government and its agencies (and the water companies---they make enough profit !) look at dredging our rivers. Over the years, they must have silted up. If they were dredged, they would carry a larger volume of water. Just a thought.

    |   2
  • First Impressions  |  December 14 2012, 11:04AM

    It was right for the road to be closed and Perranwell is the only viable alternative for getting to Truro or Falmouth (via Pelean Cross). Thank god it didn't flood the Norway Inn as it did many years ago. I can recall the owners then changing the carpet for slate....good move.

    |   2