Login Register

Falmouth & Penryn Grassroots Sport March 27

By West Briton  |  Posted: March 27, 2014

Comments (0)



Falmouth Eagles 29 Honiton 20

Falmouth Eagles tasted victory at the Recreation Ground on Saturday, and finally put an end to their losing streak by defeating a strong Honiton side, writes Tom Sandberg.

The Eagles' first victory in almost two months featured a slightly re-jigged line up with a new half-back pairing of Andrew Munro-Lott and Kieran Rodda at 9 and 10 respectively, regular fly half Justyn Irons playing at full back, and changes in the pack as Ashley Searle joined the second row.

A strong breeze swept across the Recreation Ground as the Eagles kicked off under bright spring sunshine.

Honiton tried to build an attack early, moving smoothly through the phases. But the Eagles defence stood firm and stole possession, recycling the ball wide to winger Josh Symons, who knocked on just before he could run for the try line.

Honiton had a scrum on their ten metre line, but seemed unprepared for the power and determination of the Eagles pack, who drove them back and won a penalty, which was kicked to touch seven metres out.

This cycle repeated itself four times as Honiton gave away penalty after penalty, allowing the Eagles lineout to set itself closer and closer to the visitors' try line.

Then on the 20-minute mark the constant Falmouth pressure was rewarded as the Eagles forced a penalty try which Irons converted to put them into a 7-0 lead.

Soon after the restart Honiton captain Nick Guilbert was sin-binned, and the extra man advantage in the pack proved vital as the Eagles drove themselves over the whitewash from a lineout, allowing AJ Geach to touch down and put them into a 14-0 lead.

For the next ten minutes Falmouth put constant pressure on the Honiton defence, who were penned back into their 22.

However, the Eagles' own ill discipline allowed Honiton to kick up field, and from the breakaway Ollie Rice raced over to touch down and drag the score back to 14-7.

But the Eagles ended the first half strongly, as more pressure on the five metre line allowed the Eagles to drive over, and Geach grounded the ball for his second try of the game. Irons missed the conversion allowing the Eagles to go into the break at 19-7.

The second half began with the Eagles playing into a strong wind and giving away the first points of the half from a penalty, which Honiton's Ben Webber knocked over.

The Eagles forwards continued to dominate the set pieces and the lineout proved successful once again as they caught and drove from ten metres out and allowed Geach to touch down for his hat- trick which Irons converted.

And Irons scored again soon after when Honiton gave away a penalty under the posts, which the Eagles full back slotted over.

Honiton battled back, winning a penalty try which reduced the deficit with 15 minutes left to play.

The Eagles supporters might have expected a nervy finish as often has been the case this season, but Falmouth held firm.

The final points of the game came on the stroke of full time as the Eagles were awarded a penalty underneath the posts which Irons gratefully kicked over to seal a welcome 29-20 win for Phil Angove's side.

Falmouth: Matt Kevern, AJ Geach, Toby Mears, Ashley Searle, Tony Whittle, Tom David, Nick Carne, Simon Bailey, Andrew Munro-lott, Kieran Rodda, Josh Symons, Tom Spiller, Matt Biggins, Tom Edmonds, Justyn Irons. Reps: Ollie Church, Rob Fitzpatrick, Lee Humphries.



Mannamead 0 Falmouth 4

Falmouth sealed the South Division title and promotion to the West Premier League second division with a comfortable 4-0 away win over Mannamead.

The visitors were frustrated for much of the first half as they failed to convert several chances despite having a huge amount of possession.

Clare Hudson broke the deadlock when her solid pass surprised everyone and found its way through a crowd into the back of the goal.

With their noses ahead at the start of the second half Falmouth capitalised on a loose ball in the Mannamead circle and player of the match Hudson netted her second.

Rachael Tatlow sped up the wing to square the ball for Sam Dunstan who swept in number three before Hudson's penalty corner strike was deflected into the roof of the net by Victoria Pryor.

The final whistle was met with jubilation from the team and a champagne celebration followed what wasn't a shining performance, more a case of 'job done'.

Falmouth: Hannah Bowman, Megan Cookson, Terri Barbery-Redd, Rachel Medd, Nicola Hinton, Clare Hudson, Amy Figgins, Kathryn Barbery-Redd, Rachael Tatlow, Vic Pryor, Sam Dunstan.

Falmouth ll 4 Plymouth University lll 1

Falmouth gained a convincing win at Penryn College on Saturday as their run of good form continued.

The home team showed their intention to attack right from the start but the good display from the University 'keeper kept them at bay for the first quarter of the game.

Iona Middleton was very unlucky not to beat the 'keeper with a number of good attempts on goal.

The deadlock was broken when a good run down the right wing by Emma Bragg, followed by a testing cross led to a penalty corner which Gill Lister struck well to dispatch into goal.

Player of the match, Lister had the final touch a few minutes later as she doubled the lead from close range.

With half time approaching Emma Bragg scored the first of her two goals as she drew the goalkeeper out and slotted the ball in behind her.

In the second half Falmouth continued to put pressure on the Plymouth team and had them penned into their own half but were unable to find a way through the crowded shooting area.

First team squad members, Hanna Royle and Emily Dunstan, controlled the centre while Molly Phillips, Hannah Whear and Jeanne Naylor played well in midfield. The visitors pulled one back from a quick break but Falmouth then restored their three goal lead as Emma Bragg claimed her second as she found space on the right to score from a narrow angle.

The Falmouth defence was rarely troubled, making well-timed tackles when they were called upon to stop the occasional University attacking move and June Moore had a very quiet game in the Falmouth goal.

A good team performance to gain a well deserved win.

Falmouth II: June Moore, Kirsty Brown, Amanda Wills, Kate Knott, Emily Dunstan, Hannah Whear, Hanna Royle, Molly Phillips, Jeanne Naylor, Emma Bragg, Gill Lister, Iona Middleton, Bella Corbridge.

On Saturday Falmouth will end their season at home to Tavistock at Penryn College at 10.30am hoping to keep their unbeaten record intact.

Falmouth seconds travel to Plymouth to play Mannamead seconds at Marjons at 10.30am.



Falmouth Golf Club experienced a busy weekend.

Saturday saw 47 pairs stride out in the better ball Lord Lieutenant's Trophy qualifier, hoping for a place in the final on Sunday August 3 at Carlyon Bay.

It was a close run thing with a lot of "if onlys" as the top 14 pairs were separated by just four points. The deserving winners were Andy McKnight and Crispen Merritt with a fine score of 42 Stableford points on not the easiest scoring day.

Runners -up were John Trevithick and Alan Goldsmith, who pipped Mike Sawden and Steve Thomas on the countback. Both pairs carded 41 points.

Sunday saw another dry day and another good entry for the Mixed Greensomes competition.

The cool breeze however again made scoring deceptively difficult. Steve Forrest and Donna Craig led the way with 35 stableford points with respective nines of 20 and 15 points including an invaluable "four pointer" at the par five third.

Runners-up were Peter Brierley and Barbara Roker who played steadily to return 17 points on each nine.

Third were Ken Arch and Jo Munday. They had just 14 points at the turn but came back strongly to register 19 points on the back nine for a tidy total of 33 points.


Last Tuesday, the seniors played their first Medal of the year.

Although the course continues to dry the scores were generally below average with the winning score coming from Colin Parsons with an excellent 64 and the best gross score of the day. Bob Hartnell was second with 66 and seniors captain Dennis McQuillan was third with 70.

On Wednesday they played their first match of the year but were beaten by a good Tehidy side playing on their home course.

The ladies played their Spring Meeting on Wednesday and saw Captain Jenny Wake winning the morning medal with a excellent 68 from Lesley Upperton with a 70 and best gross score of 85, with Sue Parsons in third with 71.

The afternoon Texas Scramble was won by Mo Salome, Tricia Blatter and Glenys Bateson.

The Ladies' Daily Mail pair of Tricia Blatter and Barbara Craig had a good, 5 and 4 first round win against a pair from Mullion Golf Club.

The main men's club played on Sunday for the David Sadler Memorial Cup with a well deserved win for Tony Ramsden with a 68 in windy conditions just beating Roger Mildren and Steve Penrose both having creditable 69s.

The trophy was kindly presented by local professional, Richard Sadler at a prize giving in the club house following the competition.

Youth rugby


Falmouth U13 21pts Hayle U13 19pts

Occasionally, there comes a point in a season where a performance means that a new line needs to be drawn in the sand and such a mark was made on Sunday morning at the Recreation Ground.

The U13s completed their first ever victory against one of the strongest sides in the county. The majority of the present squad have been playing together for the past six years and until this weekend, had always 'enjoyed' a good pasting at the hands of the visitors.

However, for those watching the opening minutes it may well have appeared that Falmouth were about to suffer a similar fate to previous meetings; Hayle converting their opening try after only five minutes.

But for the next 15 minutes Falmouth stuck doggedly to their task of tackling and defending against a confident and able visiting side.

Falmouth worked hard but any ball that was won was slow and untidy and attacking opportunities were few and far between.

Another converted try by the visitors before half time still meant that Falmouth were closer to their Hayle counterparts at this stage than in any previous meetings.

The first ten minutes of the second half gave Falmouth the confidence and belief that an upset was possible.

The pace of the game vastly increased, with the home side starting to ruck beyond the ball and providing much quicker ball which opened up the visitors defence.

Man of the match, Billy Bateson was to score the first of his three tries out flanking the defence to score between the posts.

The game continued to be a lot more open and with Falmouth stretching the play much better than in the first half, another long range effort from Billy brought the scores level.

The pressing of the opposition by the home defence was seeing a lot of ball being turned over.

Max, Theo and Archie were working very hard at disrupting these Hayle attacks. With less than ten minutes left, Billy scored another super converted try and Falmouth had entered uncharted territory.

The big Hayle lock was to score out wide before the end of the game but the conversion was missed.

The Falmouth U13s were euphoric at the final whistle and justifiably so after their best game ever!

The 'crunchie bar' award went to Alex Gray who has worked hard in training and made some important tackles during the game.

Falmouth squad: Cameron Hopkins; Josh Stevens, Ned Laity, Isaac Hayes, Olly Evans, Jack Blakeston, Jack Snowdon, Theo Fleming, Jago Hammersley, Jasper Hartley, Reuben Neale, Bryn Owen, Dylan Heidstrom, Max Mason, James Drage-Hubert, Archie Bunnell, Tommy Martin, Billy Bateson, Ben Read, Lewis Pirrie, Alex Gray, Tom Bick, Joe Carmichael, Aiden Wallace, Freddie Williams.

Falmouth U12's at Hayle Festival:

Festival rugby is all about maximum game time in shorter but more intense games.

So having a severely depleted squad with just about enough players to field a team is not the ideal way to compete at these events.

Falmouth were drawn in Pool 1 along with Helston, Perranporth and eventual Festival winners Truro, so fair to say this was not going to be an easy ride with Falmouth having never previously beaten Truro or Perranporth.

Fortunately the first game was against Helson and so there was an opportunity for Falmouth to blow away the cobwebs against a more evenly matched opponent.

However, Helston were more than up for the match and the first half was a cagey affair with neither side able to break down the opposition defence.

With only seven minutes each half, time is of the essence and getting the first try in these evenly matched games can be decisive.

At the start of the second half Helston pressed hard and pinned Falmouth back on their own line, eventually the defence was breached and Helston took the lead.

While Falmouth threw everything they had for the remainder of the game they just couldn't find a way through Helston's dogged tackling.

Falmouth had no time to dwell on this first game as they faced Truro next who had defeated Perranporth in their opening game.

Falmouth were under no illusions with the task they faced, Truro have a great all-round team with strength in depth but in these games there is always a chance to spring a few surprises.

True to form the opening exchanges were a tight affair with little to separate the two sides.

However, with Truro starting to dominate possession Falmouth began to be stretched defensively and Truro took these opportunities well to open up a two try lead in the first half.

Falmouth regrouped and perhaps realised the leveller that this festival format offers, from the restart they put up a much sterner wall of defence and took the game to Truro.

Although Falmouth were unable to breach the Truro defence they came close a couple of times but as importantly prevented Truro adding to their score line.

The last pool game was against Perranporth and was virtually a repeat of the previous game against Truro. Perranporth managed to score two first half tries but Falmouth again put up more determined performance in the second half.

With that Falmouth found themselves bottom of the Pool, into the semi-final of the Bowl competition and drawn against neighbours Penryn.

There is no easy game in this festival and this encounter confirmed it, Falmouth had competed well and knew that one try is all it takes in these tight games.

Penryn quickly set out their stall and put Falmouth under pressure, driving hard and maintaining possessionBut the unstoppable force was met with the immoveable object as Falmouth responded with equal measure.

This high intensity game took its toll as Falmouth and Penryn both suffered injuries before half time and had to go down to 12 players as Falmouth had no substitutes to call on.

Back to a full complement of players for the second half both sides again set about to break the stalemate, and to their credit Penryn made the pressure count after a period of sustained possession managed to find a gap in the defence to score the try that was the difference between the two sides.

Falmouth had one last game against Liskeard and Looe to restore some pride and they did it in style, eventually playing the rugby that we all know they are capable of.

Falmouth controlled the game from the start and scored two tries in the first half. In the second they really started to enjoy themselves and pass the ball around as if playing for the Barbarians, running in a further three tries.

While overall it was a little disappointing Falmouth did play well, stood up against overall winners Truro in the Pool match, and at least ended on a high with broad smiles after their last game of the festival.

Penryn Under 10s vs Redurth (home)

Playing against arguably the best team in the county is never easy; but on this occasion Penryn's task was hampered through missing a couple of players through injury.

And with others carrying knocks from the festival the previous week, it wasn't long before players were leaving pitch during the game.

First to go was Thomas Freeman who aggravated a knee injury in scoring a try, quickly followed by Benji Roberts with a head injury and then Alex Goff having had his hand trodden on.

Whereas shoulder injuries were the order of the day at the festival, this time it was foot injuries as Jori Bennett, Ciaran Young and Jack Martin followed one another limping off to the sidelines.

With all the disruptions, the game itself became something of an irrelevance, so much so that Redurth, who were able to run in several tries, lent Penryn four players for the final ten minutes of the match, but that was not before Jack Bailey crossed the line for his first try of the season.

Rugby has and always will be physically demanding sport, but it is a sport that fosters lasting friendships and perhaps in years to come some of the players from these two teams could well find themselves playing together again at school, college or club level.

Match day squad: Matt Badger, Jack Bailey (1), Jori Bennett, Liam Creedon, Thomas Freeman (1), Alex Goff, Jack Martin, Benji Roberts, Ben Thorpe, Aaron Williams, Ciaran Young.



The final of the Penryn, Falmouth & District Euchre League Robbie's Cup was held at the ROAD Social Club, Penryn. The winners were Buffs A Team and runners-up were St Gluvias B.

A reminder that all existing teams and new teams wishing to compete in the league to have forms in to the secretary as soon as possible please.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters