Login Register

Revenge tastes sweet for the Reds as they end 2013 on a high

By Rhod_Mitchell  |  Posted: December 21, 2013


Redruth man of the match Owen Hambly on the charge against the Cornish All Blacks. Picture by Geoff Hichens

Comments (1)


Redruth gave the home crowd the Christmas present they were hoping for, a revenge win 18-8 against old foes Launceston and four valuable league points to lift them up the National Two table and set them up for the New Year campaign, reports Luke Tregoning from the Recreation Ground.

Once again it was the Redruth forwards that laid the foundations for the win with a late penalty-try award sealing the win.

Despite the loss, the Cornish All Blacks had the satisfaction of pinching the Tribute CRFU Cornwall Super Cup off the Reds decided by points scored and conceded over the two league games this season 39 – 28 on aggregate.

For Redruth head coach Ashley Morcom the result was just the fillip his side needed to round off 2013. He said. “I am really pleased with the win, but hats off to Launceston who at times played some great rugby, but I feel we had the edge up front today and that’s where the game was won.

“Games against Launceston are always tight affairs, we targeted areas of the field against Launceston and I think we played some good rugby.

"We had a period just before half-time when were under pressure and we fell off some tackles which led to Tim Mathias’ try.

“In a tight game you are always at the mercy of a turnover or a swift counter-attack and with big ball carriers like BJ Chapman Launceston were always a threat.

"Having got some breathing space with Tom Notman’s well worked try our forwards worked hard to get us the win, the penalty-try award in the final ten minutes was the icing on the cake for the boy’s great effort.”

Whilst disappointed Launceston’s head coach “Spike” Rainford was philosophical about his side’s performance.

He said. “It was a game that just didn’t go our way we were on the wrong end of most of the fifty/fifty balls we looked to combat the Redruth forwards as well as the weather but we came off second best today.

"We will take stock of season so far and look to take the positives into the second half of the season.”

Playing up the slope with the stiff breeze Redruth opened the scoring after 10 minutes with a Murray Westren penalty.

Westren doubled his side’s advantage just four minutes later with his second successful penalty as the Cornish All Blacks came in at the side of a ruck.

The upright prevented Westren making it three out of three before the end of the opening quarter.

The Cornish All Blacks slowly began to come back into the game and on the half-hour mark a good break from fly-half Lewis Webb was carried on by winger Martin Kneebone, his inside pass found prop Tim Mathias who powered over for an un-converted try.

Spurred on the All Blacks bossed the game until half-time and could have gone into the break leading if a Liam Yeo drop-goal attempt had been on target. Redruth held the advantage 6-5 at the turn.

Redruth began the second half in great style. With referee Fergus Kirby playing an advantage to the Reds, fly-half Rhodri McAtee put in a well-judged cross-field kick for winger Tom Notman to score an un-converted try in the Piggy Lane corner after 47 minutes.

Redruth’s backrow were in great form with man-of-the-match Owen Hambly grafting away tirelessly.

Despite losing hooker Richard Brown to the sin bin Redruth conceded just three points to the boot of Kieron Lewitt whilst down to fourteen men.

As the game entered the final ten minutes it was poised at 11-8 to Redruth.

The All Blacks found themselves down to fourteen men as lock Bryn Jenkins was invited to spend ten minutes in the bin by referee Kirby. Redruth sensed the moment and piled on the pressure.

A scrum in the Piggy Lane corner saw the All Black pack pushed back at a rate of knots and the referee awarding Redruth a penalty try, Westren’s conversion sealing the win for the Reds.

Redruth: M Westren ( A Hosking 78), T Notman, C Bonds, S Parsons, L Vinnicombe, R McAtee (B Rule 70), G Goodfellow; D Jacques (J Tompsett 78), R Brown, C Williams, D Cook, L Collins (J Rayment 78), C Fuca (capt), O Hambly, M O’Leary (B Priddey 55).

Scores, Tries – Notman, Penalty-try, Conversion – Westren, Penalties – Westren (2)

Yellow Card – Brown (5)

Cornish All Blacks: K Lewitt, M Kneebone, R Westren, J Murphy (N Webber 61), S Chapman, L Webb, A Collings (R Friend 66); T Mathias (S Naqasima 78), J Salter, B Pow, B Jenkins, B Hilton (capt), J Tripcony (L Duke 78), M Rawlings, BJ Chapman.

Replacement (not used): F Bulut

Try – Mathias, Penalty – Lewitt

Yellow Card: Jenkins (71)

Referee: Fergus Kirby (RFU)

Crowd: 1,350

Redruth-man-of-the-match: Owen Hambly

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • HollyXReynold  |  December 24 2013, 8:14AM

    my classmate's sister makes $70 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for eight months but last month her income was $17645 just working on the computer for a few hours. try this site ➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨WWW.JOBS59.Cℴm

    Rate 0