A PENZANCE fire fighter has advised home owners to sweep their chimneys following a fire at Trengwainton yesterday.
Penzance Fire Station sent one appliance to Naceglos Lodge shortly before 8pm last night, taking an hour to tackle the blaze.
Crew manager Ian Neal said Penzance firefighters have to attend an average of one or two fires a week at this time of year as people light their chimneys for the the first time.
He said: "We'd advise people to have their chimney swept prior to lighting them for the first time. It has started to spike now because of the cold snap.
"When people first light their fires, they could be blocked with soot or by things coming down the other way, like debris or a bird's nest."