Login Register

Reds march on with third straight win

By Rhod_Mitchell  |  Posted: September 22, 2012

Comments (0)


Redruth maintained their winning start to the season with a hard-fought National 2 South  win over promoted Bournemouth at the Recreation Ground reports Bill Hooper.

It was a result and a performance which won't linger too long in the minds of the Reds'  supporters.

Redruth fluffed the kick-off handing immediately the advantage to their opponents, however Bournemouth failed to capitalise as a drop-goal attempt sailed wide of the posts.

Redruth worked their way into the visitor's half thanks to a strong run from No.8 Tom Duncan earning a penalty, which fly-half Paul Thirlby slotted between the posts.

The Reds' scrum slowly got the advantage over their opponents and a series of scrums up in the Piggylane corner eventually saw Duncan power over for a well-deserved try.

Thirlby kicked a well-judged conversion in the tricky breeze for a 10-0 score-line.

Redruth continued to create try-scoring opportunities during the first-half, but referee Luke Haskins ruled that they were held-up on numerous occasions much to the consternation of the Redruth faithful and coaching team.

Eventually the Reds increased their advantage, once again it was Duncan who powered his way over from another scrum from five-meters out.

With half-time fast approaching Redruth suffered a double blow. Lock Luke Collins was sin-binned for a professional foul, then moments later Bournemouth got their first try through No. 8 Gavin Hart from a catch-and-drive to leave the Reds 15-5 up at the break.

It got worse for the Reds early in the second half as Bournemouth's winger Rory Trow took an interception in the Redruth half to canter into Hellfire corner.

Both Sam Parsons and Romy Vassell worked hard in mid-field for the Reds and it was a blow when the former Newquay Hornets player had to be helped from the field on 70 minutes.

Bournemouth were pinged by the referee allowing Thirlby to kick a second penalty to put his side 18-10 ahead.

In the dying moments Bournemouth tried to pull back the deficit. Dean Bonds on for Vassell got back in the nick-of-time to win a race for the touchdown.

Skipper Chris Fuca was yellow carded for knocking the ball out of a Bournemouth player's hand following the award of a penalty. With the penalty marched a further 10 metres forward Stevenson finally succeeded with the final kick of the game to take a losing bonus point back to the South Coast.


Redruth 18 pts

Tries – Duncan (2), Penalties – Thirlby (2), Conversion – Thirlby

Yellow Cards – Collins (39), Fuca (79)

Bournemouth 13 pts

Tries – Hart, Trow, Penalty - Stevenson 

 Redruth: C Bonds, T Notman, R Vassell (D Bonds 70), S Parsons, F Kellythorn, P Thirlby, T Peacock (N Simmons 55),; D Jacques (D Job 72), R Brown, C Williams, L Collins (L Collins 75), C Bailey, C Fuca (capt), O Hambly, T Duncan.

Replacement (not used): J Tresidder

Bournemouth: D Pollard, R Trow (P O'Brien 70), D Connolly, S Chislett, A Edwards, B Stevenson, S Hardcastle; B Featherstone (R Carrell 39), D Cawley, A Manning (capt), W Brooks, C Forrest, J Peart (L Andrews 61), C Grace, G Hart.

Replacements (not used): B Stewart. A Spikings

Referee: Luke Haskins (RFU) 

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters