Login Register

Warning after Redruth dog dies after eating e-cigarette fluid

By WBEsme  |  Posted: February 18, 2014

Ivy2

14 week-old Ivy

Comments (31)

TWO devastated dog owners from Redruth are warning others about the dangers of nicotine poisoning after their puppy died from eating deadly e-cigarette fluid.

Keith Sutton and Kim Williams were horrified to be told their beloved Staffordshire bull terrier rescue puppy, Ivy, had passed away on Monday.

The 14-week-old, which was adopted from an RSPCA centre just two weeks before, fell ill after ingesting a small amount of e-cigarette liquid.

This is believed to be the first case of a canine death from e-cigarette fluid poisoning in the UK.

The 56-year-old coach driver said: “A warning really needs to go out that they are lethal.

“She would have had a better chance if she had bitten in to a bottle of bleach.

“If this is what a small amount on does to a dog, then what would it do to a child?”

E- cigarettes work by vaporising e-liquid, a solution of nicotine, flavouring and diluents, to simulate the feeling of smoking a tobacco cigarette.

The couple, who were not in the room at the time of the incident, believed their container of chocolate-flavoured e-cigarette fluid was knocked off their dining room table while Ivy and their other dog, Archie, were playing.

Mr Sutton said: "I peered round the corner from the kitchen and the dog was on the floor with the bottle of e-liquid.

"She had chewed it and pierced the plastic container. She had only ingested the tiniest amount but by the time I picked her up she was frothing at the mouth.

"I attempted to cool her down with cold water but I don't know any dog first aid, I just did whatever came into my mind.

"Her tongue was blue, her lips were blue. She messed herself, then she vomited. My partner was on the phone to the vet who said get her here as quickly as possible.”

Mr Sutton and Miss Williams rushed Ivy to the Animal Veterinary Services in Hayle, but staff there could not save the puppy.

A spokesman from the surgery said: “I have not seen a case like this before.

“The dog started to get a reaction after 30 seconds of piercing the bottle.

“We managed to keep her going for a few hours, but she died in the early hours of this morning.”

Ivy’s symptoms, which included vomiting, diarrhoea, difficulty breathing and heart problems, were typical of nicotine poisoning.

Now Mr Sutton and Miss Williams are asking dog owners to be aware of the potential dangers of e-cigarette e-liquid.

Miss Williams said: “It was a freak accident.

“We are not asking e-cigarette users to stop, but we are asking people to just be aware of the dangers.”

Miss Williams also gave a wider warning about dogs accessing other nicotine replacement products such as chewing gum and patches.

Mr Sutton - who used an eKarma Vaporiser fuelled by k-Liquid - is one of an estimated four million people in Britain who use the devices.

The World Health Organisation has refused to endorse the device until long-term trials prove they are safe.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

31 comments

  • richy78  |  February 21 2014, 12:31PM

    As the retailer that sells this liquid to the customer in question ,just to ease the assuming mind of piratesvape , we are not a 'dodgy seller'. all of our e liquids are clearly marked with the warnings as in my last comment.

    |   3
  • richy78  |  February 20 2014, 1:37PM

    this is what is on the side of the packaging of that exact make and flavor of the oil ; Toxic if swallowed. very toxic in contact with skin. IF ON SKIN: gently wash with plenty of soap and water. IF SWALLOWED: immediately call a poison center or doctor/physician. if medical advice is needed , have product container or label to hand. if exposed or if you feel unwell: immediately call a poison center or doctor/physician. avoid contact during pregnancy/ while nursing. store locked up. keep out of reach of children. toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effect. dispose in a safe way to avoid environmental contamination. its a very unfortunate incident but the warnings are clearly there to be followed !!!!

    |   6
  • CathyH  |  February 18 2014, 11:44PM

    Ahh I see this Story has changed ... Keith was getting a lot of necessary abuse for being a total idiot .. If he had told the story properly in the first place things would of been very different ... I see Keiths Face Book (********) status has been removed also!! Of course we are sorry poor baby Ivy died in an accident (ACCIDENT)!! ... but to blatantly blame pure nicotine wasn't the way to go!!

    |   11
  • Dragonmum  |  February 18 2014, 7:04PM

    My neighbour lost a young lurcher who chewed a tube of ointment left on the bedside table; my vet had to put his own young dog down when it got hold of paracetamol tablets - heart-breaking but, and it's a very big BUT, these cases never appeared in the press or on social media. Having analysed the article and read the above comments re the different versions of this story, I have a great many misgivings. Accidents happen to children and to dogs, we all know that, why the emphasis on this. There are some possibilities here that I dare not contemplate. I can only hope this animal was not yet another victim of anti-e-cig propaganda.

    |   11
  • Julesnow  |  February 18 2014, 6:29PM

    I totally agree with Southervapers statement "YET again tabloid journalism attempting to instil fear and panic to the masses" Facts are not complete, and neither is the story. Just a ploy to get Mr Sutton a little sympathy and sell the article. Typical tabloid junk.

    |   9
  • VapeBans  |  February 18 2014, 5:55PM

    Hes telling stories all over the place and none of them make any sense.

    |   6
  • SoutherVaper  |  February 18 2014, 4:16PM

    seriously??? pure nicotine??? I have been vaping for 6 months now.. and have never used PURE nicotine in a mixture!! at most my mixture is at around 16mg/ml of actual nicotine, the rest is flavouring, aqueous glycerine and propylene glycol, with flavourings.. so if this guy was smoking pure nicotine he wouldn't be around to talk about it.. he claims to be a smoker.... but EVERY smoker knows that nicotine is poison... hense why those who have kids or pets keep their cigarettes away from them!!! even so with vaping liquid... as well as the fact this guy needs to get his story straight and stop changing it between each reporter... YET again tabloid journalism attempting to instil fear and panic to the masses!!!

    |   11
  • FergusM  |  February 18 2014, 3:04PM

    "Mr Sutton is also calling for the liquid to be better packaged and have more warnings on the bottles." The bottles already have perfectly adequate health warnings. What's he suggesting - something that a dog can read?

    |   12
  • Steffi_jade  |  February 18 2014, 12:32AM
    |   7
  • jenzs2  |  February 18 2014, 12:12AM

    Already hes asking people where to buy another pup from!!!! This time i really hope that doesnt suffer the same fate as this poor mite due to this mans stupidity...All eliquids come with warnings,its up to us to heed them..This bloke is now trying to get this story going global to save lifes of animals and humans,pointless because most of us know the dangers already,we read the labels and keep eliquid well away from pets and children!!!

    |   23

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES