Login Register

Redruth attempted murderer Aaron Odgers jailed for 17 years

By CMJohannaCarr  |  Posted: December 09, 2013

Redruth attempted murder Aaron Odgers jailed for 17 years

A FORMER Redruth charity shop worker has been jailed for 17 years after he stabbed a teenage boy 15 times in a cold-blooded and ruthless attack.

The 16-year-old boy woke up screaming as Aaron Odgers stabbed in the back and arm as he lay in bed sleeping and has been left suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and a potentially permanent weakness to his right hand.

Appearing at Truro Crown Court this morning Odgers was given an extended sentence – meaning he will be monitored by the probation service for an extended period until 2035 after his release from prison.

Sentencing, Judge Christopher Harvey Clark, QC, said it was “truly remarkable” that Odgers, of Southgate Street, did not succeed in killing the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Judge Clarke said: “With cold-blooded ruthlessness you started to stab him with the point of a carving knife.

“He woke up screaming as you tried to kill him. In all you stabbed him 15 times – a sustained and ferocious attack.”

On Friday, Odgers, 25, was convicted by a jury of attempting to murder the boy and of wounding his mother with the intent to do her grievous bodily harm.

Odgers went on trial at Truro Crown Court last Monday where he denied the offences and claimed that he could not remember anything that happened that evening after playing drinking games at a friend’s house.

His defence barrister Ramsay Quaife, also accused the mother of stabbing her son before turning the knife on herself.

The jury rejected his claims.

In the early hours of June 23 this year Odgers went to the family’s house and let himself in through the open back door.

He spent some time talking with the mother before asking to use the toilet upstairs. Once on the first floor he launched a vicious attack on the sleeping teenager – smiling as he stabbed him in the back.

The boy was left lying in a pool of his own blood and Odgers went downstairs where he thrust the knife at the mother twice and left the house.

She called 999 and a recording of that call was played to the jury. The boy could be heard on the recording groaning in pain.

Both were taken to hospital where it was found that the mother had suffered cuts to her cheek and to her left upper arm while her son’s injuries included multiple stab wounds, a punctured and collapsed lung and significant internal bleeding.

No motive for the attack has been found.

After the hearing, officer in the case, DC Jules Lewis said: “What struck me through the trial was there is two Aaron Odgers. There is an Aaron Odgers that Mr Quaife talked about in mitigation; hard-working, an outwardly calm and kindly person and then there is another Aaron Odgers that is capable of unprovoked horrific violence.”

Read more from West Briton