Login Register

Porthleven at their Best to maintain run

By West Briton  |  Posted: August 29, 2013

Comments (0)

PORTHLEVEN made it two wins from two as Matt Best grabbed the winner in Saturday's 1-0 win over Perranporth at Gala Parc.

Dennis Annear's young side, who kicked off their campaign with a 4-0 win over Foxhole Stars, came close to scoring in the first half through Jowan Shainberg and Jordan Annear.

And after Freddie Williams was denied by Pilchards' goalkeeper Andy Butcher in the second half, Best grabbed the all-important winner when he smashed the ball home in the 67th minute.

Truro City slipped to a second straight defeat of the season at home to a Mousehole side that is tipped to do well under new joint managers Wayne Quinn and Matt Shiels.

City found themselves trailing by a couple of goals in the opening 20 minutes as Richard Vercesi struck twice.

Truro fought back to draw level through Scott Palmer on 27 minutes and a 31st minute diving header at the near post by veteran Andy Bowker.

Mousehole's match winner arrived six minutes after the break when a determined run by Nick Pugliese ended with a fierce shot from the edge of the box that went in via the underside of the bar.

Helston Athletic eventually saw off the challenge of Foxhole Stars with four second half goals at Goverseth Park on Saturday.


In a hard fought first half, Joe Stone turned the ball into his own net after Charlie Young's header had come back off the bar to give Helston a deserved the lead at the break.

Mark Goldsworthy doubled the lead after running on to Dan Stidwell's pass.

Goldsworthy grabbed another goal to make it 3-0 with a good finish from 12 yards.

In the 74th minute substitute Stidwell got his name on the scoresheet with a fine drive that gave the Foxhole goalkeeper no chance.

Stidwell then turned provider as his pass picked out Matt Fox, who tapped the ball home on the stroke of full-time.

Kayne Trevaskis helped himself to a second half hat-trick as Penryn Athletic ran out 4-2 winners at home to Wadebridge Town.

The Bridgers took the lead through Dan Jennings, but Penryn went in at the break on level terms after David Broglino scored from the penalty spot for the hosts after 39 minutes.

Despite a strong start to the second half from Penryn, Wadebridge restored the lead in the 70th minute thanks to a Sam Gerkin header and the visitors looked on course to claim victory.

However, three goals in the final 15 minutes at Kernick put paid to that.

Trevaskis brought the scores level when he headed home Ollie Moody's cross.

With full time approaching Trevaskis made it 3-2 to Penryn with a good turn and shot.

And the striker completed a quickfire hat-trick deep in injury time much to Wadebridge's frustration.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters