Login Register

Police cuts blamed as Falmouth burglary figures double

By WBCraig  |  Posted: May 01, 2014

Policeman

Funding cuts blamed for crime surge

Comments (3)

BUSINESS leaders have criticised police cuts in the wake of a “shocking” spate of burglaries in Falmouth.

The number of break-ins has nearly doubled compared to last year, with six in the past week alone.

A victim of one burglary even claimed the identity of the raiders was common knowledge around the town., but police were unable to catch them

The Port of Falmouth Chamber of Commerce has blamed funding cutbacks and lenient sentencing for the rise and warned that costs will be passed on to consumers.

Related content

There have been 60 non-domestic break-ins since the start of this year in Falmouth, compared to 35 in the same period last year.

Burglars have been on a rampage through the town, stealing cash and leaving a trail of damage since the New Year.

Jeremy Edwards, chairman of the chamber, which counts many retailers among its 46 members, said: “It seems like it is a bit organised. I think it’s quite shocking.

“It is a worry, but not just to retailers. This is a matter for Joe Public, not just businesses.

“If it is retail businesses at the moment, are they going to go into homes? These guys are obviously professionals – where will they go next?”

Mr Edwards blamed government cuts in police funding and the court system.

“The issue is, do they sufficiently punish these people when they catch them? Are the penalties harsh enough? They just don’t seem to punish people these days.

“They (police) haven’t got the resources. All we hear about is cutbacks. Ground force policing, that doesn’t seem to happen these days.”

He said the crimes would push up the price of goods as business owners paid out for additional security and their insurance premiums increased with each claim.

One retail business owner who spent almost £3,000 on additional locks and security following two break-ins this year said: “Six in a week, that’s quite scary. Everybody is worried about security.” It’s a worry.”

Another commercial burglary victim, who also asked not to be named, said: “There is one group of people doing it. Everybody knows who they are. It is prolific. It is just catching them.

“I feel sorry for the police. We did have a break-in. The police were excellent. They did everything they could. They now know who it is but they are having a problem with forensics.”

Sergeant Martin Roberts, from Falmouth police, was not available for comment.

In an earlier statement he said: “We are experiencing a number of burglaries in and around the Falmouth area.

“I would encourage anyone who sees anyone acting suspiciously, or if they hear any commercial property alarms activating, to contact the police immediately by dialling 101.”

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

3 comments

  • TWINSCREW  |  May 02 2014, 5:14PM

    Time has come to forget the police and hire some private security to catch these people on a payment by results basis.

    Rate 0
    Report
  • nickthompson  |  May 01 2014, 10:08AM

    "Police cuts blamed as Falmouth burglary figures double"------------------I find this very difficult to believe, especially when government ministers keep telling us that cuts in staff number's, and funding will make no difference , and in many cases will improve the service we receive from public services.

    Rate   2
    Report
  • DipStick  |  May 01 2014, 9:22AM

    " ... Mr Edwards blamed government cuts in police funding and the court system. ...". No, actually it's all down to the burglers! If noone decided to burgle anyone else there would be no problem. DS

    Rate 0
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES