Login Register

Penryn's Steve Kellow piles more woe on former club Falmouth

By West Briton  |  Posted: November 01, 2012

Penryn's Lee Gribble (left) wins an aerial tussle with Falmouth Athletic's Alex Miller. Toby Weller.

Comments (0)

Falmouth Ath 1, Penryn 2

STEVE Kellow returned to heap more misery on his former club as Penryn overcame Falmouth Athletic 2-1 in an exciting local derby at the Draceana Centre.

It looked like Penryn were cruising to victory after early goals from Kellow and Stefan Churcher put them in cruise control, but a resurgent second half performance from Athletic set up a tense finale, and they will feel aggrieved that they didn't come away with atleast a share of the spoils.

The result sees Peter Sharpe's men slip to the bottom of the table after Holman's win over Hayle, and the player manager was left rueing his side's misfortune in front of goal.

He said: "I felt we deserved something out of the game but we just lacked that bit of luck which you tend not to get when you're struggling.

"We'll keep going and I think if we can play like we did in the second half on a more consistent basis then hopefully we'll start winning matches."

Kellow, returning to the Draceana for the first time since departing for Penryn just a week before the season started, was quick to praise his old club's performance after the full time whistle.

He said: "I've got credit to Athletic because they played very well in the second half and probably deserved something from the game.

"I'm back here sooner than I would have wanted but as they say, the game moves on, and the three points is very good for us."

Penryn couldn't have got off to a better start after breaking down the Athletic defence with just six minutes on the clock.

After dispossessing Luke Halloran, DJ Walker's inch perfect ball over the top was latched on to by Kellow, who beautifully lobbed the ball over onrushing keeper Matt Quick and into the net.

The home side were playing five in midfield but couldn't get a hold of the game, and although Kyle De Lancey came close with his head on two occasions, they struggled to carve out any other clear-cut chances.

Penryn on the other hand were full of confidence after their early opener, and nearly doubled their lead after 24 minutes when Ryan Reeve's neat flick found Churcher, who poked his effort wide with just the keeper to beat.

However, the centre forward made no mistake when he was gifted another opportunity a minute before the break, albeit thanks to some terrible marking from Athletic.

Chris Mulroy's corner eluded everybody apart from Churcher who reacted quickest out of everybody and headed home from six yards.

It was simply too easy, but whatever Sharpe said to his men at half-time worked as they found themselves back in the game inside the first minute of the re-start.

Alex Miller's free-kick was misjudged by Penryn stopper Chris Pellow, and the ball dropped to Brett Southerland who had the easiest of tasks to tap in to an empty net.

It was the perfect start to the second half for Athletic, who took control of the game and should have equalised shortly after from another set-piece.

Miller's corner was met by Aaron Taylor whose looping header came back off the crossbar and fell to the feet of Hugh Gibbon whose point blank shot was cleared off the line.

Falmouth were throwing more and more men forward in search of an equaliser as the game went leaving them vulnerable at the back.

And it nearly cost them in the final ten minutes when Mike Cruise played Churcher in behind whose shot beat Quick but came back off the post.

But the miss didn't matter, as Penryn held on to a victory which sees them move up to sixth in the table.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters