Login Register


By West Briton  |  Posted: February 23, 2012

Comments (0)

Miss HA Haynes Camborne

THE CELEBRATION of Hannah Antonia Haynes's (Buzzie) happy times has taken place at Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Church, Redruth.

Hannah was 24 years old when she decided it was time for her to go and dance with the angels.

Hannah arrived into the world during the storms of 1987, eager to start living: she was four weeks early.

When she was 4, Hannah was diagnosed with a life-limiting metabolic condition and was not expected to survive beyond the age of 6; except Hannah had other ideas as she loved life and had a wicked sense of humour.

Hannah attended St John's Catholic School, in Camborne, and loved every minute of her time taking part in the nativity plays, school outings and attending the many birthday parties of her school friends.

Hannah loved music and Ronan Keating being her idol she enjoyed going to watch him and Boyzone, in Cardiff, together with her best friend, Bethany.

Hannah loved shopping, especially for handbags and always had to be colour co-ordinated when going out.

Hannah loved going to church and nothing amused her more than when the singing was not quite in tune, despite the practice sessions led by Sister "A" as she called her.

Mrs C Teixiera, who captured Hannah's spirit so beautifully in her eulogy, said we could cry because she has gone or we could smile because she lived. We are choosing to smile.

Funeral arrangements were by Vincent Young of Colin Matthews Funerals, Camborne.

Mr GJ Williams Hayle

THE FUNERAL service of Mr George Jeffrey Williams, of Hayle, has taken place at Hayle Methodist Church.

The service was conducted by the Reverend Peter Facer and the hymns Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer, and How Great Thou Art were accompanied by organist Mr Edward Tanner.

Interment followed in St Erth Cemetery.

George, known as Jeffrey, was born on July 23, 1930, at Penpol Road, Hayle, and lived there with his mother, father, elder brother, Raymond, and his aunt and uncle.

He attended Penpol Primary School and then passed his certificate to go into the boys' grammar school in Penzance.

Jeffrey had a very happy childhood growing up with the 'Foundry Boys'. He often helped his dad on the milk round with the horse and cart.

On leaving school in 1947 he started work at West Penwith Council offices, in Chapel Street, Penzance, Firstly in the rates department and then moving onto public health.

His working life was interrupted in 1953 when he was called up for National Service and sent to Singapore – quite a journey for a Cornish lad!

Here, as well as undertaking the duties of a British soldier, he continued with his public health work by inspecting the canteens and cafés used by the British Army.

On his return he continued his job in public health, where he worked mainly in managing refuse collection and street cleaning in Penwith.

He helped his wife Amy with the electoral register in Hayle for many years, and was also a familiar face at the polling stations, where he took the role of presiding officer.

Jeffrey took early retirement in 1987 and spent his time engaged in do-it-yourself, gardening and watching and listening to sport.

Being a keen sportsman in his younger days, Jeffrey played rugby for Hayle and enjoyed playing cricket, firstly for Trenhayle and then Leedstown.

A good all-rounder, he achieved trophies with both teams.

Jeffrey married Amy at Copperhouse Chapel in 1961. They started their life together at Sunn-Aire and had two daughters, Ann and Karen.

Jeffrey was a true family man. His most enjoyable time was spent with his beloved grandsons, Simon, Jamie, Thomas and Robert who called him "Papa".

He was always pleased to see Keith or Gary and welcomed them into his family.

After a short illness, he was taken into hospital where he died peacefully with his family beside him.

He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

Family mourners: Ann and Keith Hosking, daughter and son-in-law; Karen and Gary Stephens, daughter and son-in-law; Simon and Jamie Hosking, grandsons; Martin and Janice Williams, nephew; Jenny Button, niece; Julian Rowe, nephew; Leslie Rowe, brother-in-law; Fiona Williams, great niece, rep Peter Williams, great nephew.

Unable to attend: Thomas and Robert Stephens, grandsons.

Friends attending: Mr and Mrs Gordon and Jean Moore; Mr and Mrs Frank and Anne Moore; Nina Yellop; Mr and Mrs David and Rosemary Whitehurst, rep Karen, Gary and family, Stephen, Marie and family; Mrs Paula Morcomb, rep Alex Morcomb; Margaret Goldsworthy, rep William Goldsworthy, Mrs C Benney and Mrs C Treloar; Mrs Sally Smitheram, rep David Smitheram; Mr and Mrs D Mills, rep the junior church; Mr Jim Hampton, David and Sheila Goldsworthy; Mrs Rosemary Swithinbank; Colin and Jean Philp, rep Martin Philp; Helen Douglas, Owen Philp, Bev Jose; Margaret Ireland, rep Alec Ireland; Mrs Jones, rep Jean Willing; Penny Trembath, rep David Trembath; Mr and Mrs I Anstice; Mr and Mrs John Blewett, Pam Allen, Alan Mitchell, Doreen Carlyon; Mr and Mrs Norman and Mary Breakey; Mrs Gloria Nidds; Mr and Mrs Peter and Elizabeth Honess; Kim Hutchings, rep Mark and Ross and Amy; Mrs Mandy Bilsland, Elliot Bilsland, Gail Short, Mr and Mrs Bob and Shirley Senior; Mr David Barnes, rep Paul Cook, Celtic Garage; Hilary Allan; Patricia Pascoe, rep Mr ML Pascoe, Mrs CH Treloar, Mrs C Benney; Tom Christophers, rep Leedstown Cricket Club; Dougie Oats, Mrs J Watson, Allon Jones, Joy Jones; Mr and Mrs K Lang, rep Mr and Mrs P Lander; Pam Eustace, Mr T Millett; Paul Hurrell, rep Susan Hurrell, Hayle RFC, and Roger Pascoe; Mr and Mrs E Thomas, Brian Trevaskis, Ann Donaldson, Mrs M Prosser, Glyn Brockman, Liz Brockman; Frank Johns, rep Hayle RFC; Mr R Stephens, rep Mrs A Stephens; Mr P Hosking; Linda Williams, rep Rosemary Nancarrow; Joy Odgers; Mrs Kathy Hendra, rep Mr M Hendra, Mr and Mrs S Benney, Mrs J Payne, Mrs N Cook; David Rothero, rep Mrs Ann Rothero; Mr Neil Cook, rep Mrs Joanne Cook; John Coombe, rep Miss Marion Coombe; Dan Magee; Mr and Mrs K Magee, rep Jessica and Emily Magee, Mr and Mrs D Hosking, Mrs M Prisk and family; Mr and Mrs K and H Williams; Graham Trembath, Irene Hayes, Mrs C Richards, Mrs C Moses and the Reverend V Moses; Allan Thomas, rep Betty Thomas; Sheila Bates, Simon and Barbara Polglase, Mr and Mrs P George.

Donations for Motor Neurone Disease Association or Marie Curie Cancer Care are being received by the funeral director, WJ Winn, 69 Fore Street, Hayle, TR27 4DX.

Mrs DM Smitham Camborne

THE FUNERAL service has taken place at Treswithian Downs Crematorium, Camborne, of Dorothy May Smitham of Camborne, who has died at Fairholme nursing home, Roskear, at the age of 95.

The service was conducted by the Rev Jon Bellfield.

Dorothy was born at Marazion where she also attended school. On leaving school she was employed by West Cornwall College looking after the students.

Dorothy met John Smitham while at the college and they married in March 1934. They enjoyed many holidays together, especially in Wales, where their daughter, Molly, lived for a while.

Dorothy's main interests were her family and her home.

Donations were for Cornwall Leukaemia Trust and total £227.75

Family mourners were: Molly and Lewis Williams, Joan and Brian Rogers, Sonia and Roy James, daughters and sons-in-law; Karen, Michaela and Simon, Tina, Gerald, Tania and partner, Paul, Rachel, Mark, grandchildren; Benjamin, Jack, Ashleigh, Jeska, great grandchildren; Florrie, great great grandchild; Mr and Mrs Wilfred Smitham, brother-in-law and wife; Susan Williams, Mary Manaton and Heather Isaacs, nieces.

Funeral Director: John Jenkin for Colin Matthews Funerals, Camborne.

Mr A Penhaligon Threemilestone

THE FUNERAL service has taken place at All Saints' Church, Highertown, followed by interment at Truro Cemetery, of Arthur Penhaligon, of Threemilestone, who passed away aged 84.

The service was conducted by Stephen Treseder.

Arthur was born in Grampound Road. He grew up in Tregony with two sisters and three brothers.

As a youth he worked for his father, Norman, in his motor repair garage.

He served in the Army and travelled to the Mediterranean and North Africa. After his National Service, jobs in Cornwall were scarce so he travelled to Nelson, in Lancashire, to work in a cotton mill as a doubler.

It was here he met his wife-to-be, Connie, who worked as a silk weaver. They were married in Nelson on June 18, 1949.

On his return to Cornwall with his new wife he worked in the City Hospital, Truro, as a kitchen porter. By studying in the evenings at Cornwall Technical College he worked his way to being qualified as a chef, culminating in his post as kitchen superintendent at Treliske Hospital.

In the early 1970s Arthur built his own bungalow by joining a self-build syndicate. It was during this period he suffered his first heart attack after a falling accident on the building site.

After further heart attacks and a triple bypass operation he was forced to take early retirement.

Throughout his life he enjoyed do-it-yourself – making or repairing things in his garage or shed.

He enjoyed travelling to many countries on holiday with Connie and also driving, especially long distances.

His collection of model railways was an interest he had for many years.

Illness due to heart problems continued to trouble Arthur, but he would fight it off the best he could; small strokes and recently a larger one which resulted in reduced use of his left hand and leg affected his ability to do many things.

After becoming gradually weaker over the past year Arthur died in Truro.

Family mourners were: Constance Penhaligon, wife; Carol and Cyril Harding, daughter and son-in-law; Graham and Joanne Penhaligon, son and daughter-in-law; Sarah Harding and Jim Cameron, granddaughter and partner; Kingsley and Lottie Harding, grandson and wife; Victoria Harding and David Hobbs, granddaughter and fiance; Lloyd Harding, grandson; Grenville and Pat Penhaligon, brother and sister-in-law; Barbara Penhaligon, sister-in-law; Geoffrey Penhaligon, Barry and Avril Jones, Angela Linford, Bridget Jones, nephews and nieces.

Mr D Penna Truro

HUNDREDS attended the funeral of David Penna which took place at Trelawney Chapel, Penmount Crematorium, Truro. David died suddenly at the age of 62.

The service was conducted by the Rev Jim Hunkin, who made it all the more special, as he had married David and Diane nearly 38 years ago in March.

David was born on April 3, 1949. He was the eldest son of Henry and Betty Penna, and a brother to Richard. He grew up at Meadow Farm, Rose.

David attended Goonhavern Primary School and Newquay Tretherras Secondary School. On leaving school, he began his apprenticeship with Farm Industries. After being made redundant he worked for Fulford Trumps.

In 1984, David decided to join Truro Tractors. He worked there as a parts manager for more than 26 years, and was well respected by all his customers and colleagues.

David met Diane and they married on March 2, 1974. They had two beautiful daughters, Claire and Denise. He was a very proud dad and a wonderful husband, devoted to his family.

David loved sports of all kinds but snooker and football were his hobbies. He played for Goonhavern Football Club and took part in several snooker tournaments, many of which he won.

Latterly, David joined Cubert Sea Angling Club and took great satisfaction in weighing in his catch.

David's grandpa was a very big part of David's life. He introduced him to football and was one of the founders of Rose Institute; he had very fond memories of Rose.

David lived in Truro but he loved everything about the countryside.

Family mourners: Diane Penna, wife; Claire and Denise Penna, daughters; Richard and Anne Penna, brother and sister-in-law; Harold and Sally Penna, uncle and auntie; Pat Penna, auntie; Jane Chapman, mother-in-law; William and Elizabeth Snell, brother-in-law and sister-in-law; Christopher and Jackie Chapman, brother-in-law and sister-in-law; John and Maureen Chapman, brother-in-law and sister-in-law; Gemma Snell, Lucy Chapman, nieces; Simon Snell and Nikki Gabriel, nephew and partner; Robin, nephew; Marc and Nina Chapman, nephew; Allison Dunstan, Tania Finlay, Steven Dunstan, Jean Tremaine, Helen Francis and Sarah Knight; cousins.

Unable to attend: Michael and Dawn Penna, uncle and auntie in Australia; Hugh Spargo, uncle in Spain; Sylvia Penna, auntie; Colin Chapman, brother-in-law in Adelaide; Chantelle, Michael, Fiona and Michael, nephews and nieces; Rebecca Penna, Sue, Jennifer, Michael, Ian and Nick Penna, cousins.

Funeral arrangements were by Bob Chudleigh of John Nicholls Funeral Service.

Mrs J Lander St Columb Major

FRIENDS and family met at St Mabyn Church for the funeral and service of thanksgiving for the life of Jean Lander, who has died aged 82. David Shapcott led those present in an appreciation of this much-loved lady.

Jean was born in St Mabyn and lived at Kelly Park, a livestock farm in the middle of the village.

She was one of three children, having a sister, Phyllis, and a brother, Ken. She lived in St Mabyn from 1929 until 1962.

As a teenager Jean was a member of the St John Ambulance, with which, as a cadet leader, she helped others with their training. It was in St Mabyn that Jean got to know Harry Lander, who lived in West Villa in the village.

Harry became a plumber and they were married in St Mabyn Church in 1949. They spent many happy years together, having one son, John.

The family moved to Wadebridge in 1962 and Jean worked in shops in the town.

In 1966 Harry was diagnosed with skin cancer, receiving treatment at Frenchay Hospital for eight months.

When able to visit, Jean used knowledge gained from the St John Ambulance to help with his nursing.

Sadly, Harry died the following year, and Doreen Henderson, whose children Jean liked to help with, was very supportive.

They remained close friends, and after Doreen's death, Jean remained friends with the children.

Later, Jean met John Buckley, who was manager of the Wadebridge Co-op and who was to be her partner and companion for 37 years, until his death six months ago.

Jean's son, John, became very friendly with Steven Miles, and when Steven lost his parents, Jean treated him like a second son. When not working, Jean enjoyed playing bingo.

In 1967, the Co-op transferred John senior to their branch in St Mary's on the Isles of Scilly, where the family lived for 18 months. The family returned to the mainland in 1978, settling in Treviscoe, where John worked for SNW, now Imerys.

In Treviscoe Jean bred dachshunds. She enjoyed meeting people and was an active member of the community, joining the local WI and the Darby and Joan club. She also became close friends with Shirley Wade.

She baked pasties for the shop in St Dennis but it was not unknown for pasties intended for the family meal to be acquired and eaten by the dachshunds.

During trips away in the caravan, Jean became friends with Margaret Jones, who owned Ringwell Holiday Park, where Jean worked in the shop for many seasons. In 2001, the family moved to Little Quoit Farm, St Columb.

Jean and John spent a total of 37 years together before John died suddenly in August 2011. Until then Jean had gone regularly to the Darby and Joan Club, in St Columb and, after John died, to Age Concern in Newquay.

She frequently walked to the shops in St Columb and was a regular visitor to the antique shop and the charity shop, demonstrating in both establishments that she could still do the splits!

After John's death, Jean's health declined. A stroke and heart attack led ultimately to her admission to Philiphaugh, St Columb, where she was cared for with the dignity and compassion she deserved, until she succumbed to pneumonia.

Jean was a hardworking lady, always ready to help others, for whom the family came first. She will be missed by all who knew her.

Family mourners included John and Kay, Phillip Bastard, Sid and Ivy Bastard, Esther Ould, Joyce Stephens.

Close friends attending included Steve and Chris Miles, Tim Williams, the Henderson family and Shirley Wade. Other friends included Trevor and Ann Green, Keith, Kim and Karen Wonnacott, Chris Profit; Carol Grigg, for St Mabyn Church; Mrs Agnes Hoskin, Fred Hayman, Heather and Michael, Nigel and Wendy Anderson, the Down family, Margaret, Kevin and Tracey, and Anna Hoare.

Chosen bearers were Steve Miles, Tim Williams, Carl Cooper and Ian Perkins.

Funeral arrangements were by Colin Rescorla, St Columb.

Mr WB Risden


THE FUNERAL service has taken place at Treswithian Downs Crematorium, Camborne, for William Brian Risden, of Camborne, who has died at the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, aged 71.

The Rev Jim Hunkin conducted the service.

Brian was born in Brea village, in 1940, to Vera and Frederick (Freddie) Risden. When Brian was just a few months old, Freddie died, at just 23, after a road traffic accident.

A few years later, Vera married Dickie Bray; and Brian, his brother, Maurice, and sister, Pat, were soon joined by three new siblings: Gerald, Christabel and John.

His family was always extremely important to Brian and he tried to remain close to his parents and siblings, even when he later lived upcountry and abroad.

Brian went to the grammar school in Redruth, and excelled at sports. He was a keen boxer both in and sometimes out of the ring and won several county titles in his youth.

He loved his rugby and was nicknamed Gus at school after Gus Rissman, the famous rugby league player. He also enjoyed cross-country running and was regularly seen racing uphill from Brea village to train with his teammates at Stithians Rugby Club.

Brian looked very similar to his brother, Maurice, who played for a nearby team in Redruth. As the two brothers both also bore the same name — Risden, several cases of mistaken identity ensued, with any kicks or punches delivered by Brian to his opponents one week, being revisited on his brother a few weeks later.

Brian worked at Holman's for several years and also at Primrose Dairy, in St Erth, where he met Wendy, who he was to marry.

They had three children: Mark; Jamie, or Jackson, as Brian affectionately called him; and Heather, an 'emmet' born when they later moved to Corby.

Brian continued to play rugby in Corby where he was transport manager for British Road Services or BRS. The family moved to South Africa for three years then returned to the SRS in Chester.

They then went home to Cornwall for a few years, and Brian felt lucky to have been with his father, Dickie Bray, when he died.

As the family obviously liked to travel, they then went up to London where Brian tried his hand at being a publican but settled for a career in logistics with The Economist.

Brian's sons, Mark and Jamie, both joined the Armed Forces during the 1980s. He was extremely proud of his boys who both saw active service.

Mark later became a transport policeman and Jamie ran a team of signal engineers for Network Rail. Brian often felt that between them they kept the nation's transport system up to scratch.

Heather went to work for the Royal College of General Practitioners, in London.

Brian spent several years at The Economist but when his marriage was dissolved he returned to Cornwall to spend the rest of his life with his family.

Brian doted on his children, whom he enjoyed seeing as often as possible along with their families; they all kept in close contact over the telephone.

He adored his six grandchildren and just before his death he became a great grandfather.

Brian and his sister Pat had always been very close and returning to Cornwall at about the same time, Pat and her husband Dave frequently looked out for and took care of Brian, as did his other brothers and sisters, Christabel, Michael, John, and Gerald, and Brian's niece, Bridle, of whom he was especially fond.

It was around this time that his brother Maurice died. He was sorely missed. A few years later his beloved mother, Vera, also died.

Brian's eyesight began to deteriorate quite considerably around this time, but he was always a very sociable man and he persevered for as long as possible with his hobbies.

He loved gardening, singing in a Cornish male voice choir and playing euchre with a team of friends from the Vyvyan Arms, Camborne, having lots of fun and winning several trophies along the way.

Brian was a very caring man with a wonderful sense of humour. His smile and his laughter were always full and genuine.

He was often seen in a contemplative mood with his pipe in his mouth and an occasional twinkle of mischief in his eye. He brought a lot of happiness into the lives of everyone he knew and his children have found that this trait has certainly been passed on to his grandchildren.

Brian was always a fighter, but after a long battle with diabetes, heart disease, and several minor strokes, he eventually succumbed to a cardiac arrest. This was brought on after a number of infections he had been unable to shake off in hospital following a recent heart bypass.

Brian will be sorely missed by his family and friends but is now at peace and no longer in any pain.

His children ask that you try to remember Brian as he should be remembered: for his laughter, his kindness, his singing and for his beautiful smile.

Chosen bearers were: Mark Risden, son; James Risden, son; Frank Whitney, son-in-law; John Bray, brother; Alex Risden, grandson; Darren Chegwin, nephew-in-law.

Family mourners were: Heather Whitney, daughter; Alexandra Risden, daughter-in-law; Jo Chambers, Mark's partner; Samantha Chegwin, niece; Gerald Bray, brother; Pat New, sister; Dave New, brother; Christabel Jose, sister and husband, Michael; Bridie Mankee, niece, husband Walter and children Gemma and Kim; Veronica Risden, sister-in-law of deceased's late brother and partner, Michael; Simon Jose, nephew and wife Tracey; Gwen Jones, former wife; Ann Richards, sister-in-law, and husband Colin; Martin Richards, nephew; Sean Coughlin, brother-in-law.

Unable to attend, with sincere apologies, were Rita and Nigel Bray and Kevin and Paul Risden, nephews and their families.

Funeral arrangements were by Colin Grose of Retallack Bros, Camborne, www.retallackbros.com

Mr DJSH Parnell St Columb Major

THE STRAINS of the Flora Dance filled St Columb Parish Church as family and friends gathered for the funeral and service of thanksgiving for the life of David Parnell, who has died aged 93. Mr David Shapcott led those present in an appreciation of a long life lived to the full.

David was born in Helston, the youngest of three children. His father left the matrimonial home before David was born, so life was very hard for his mother as she worked to support him and his two sisters. From an early age, David knew that he would have to work for the necessities of life.

He went to school at Helston Church of England Boys' School, but when not in class, David was working. In season, he would pick blackberries for a wholesaler, and primroses to sell.

The Colonial Store paid for empty jam jars: one old penny for a 2lb jar, a halfpenny for a 1lb jar.

At the age of 8, David was delivering milk in cans every day on his way to school; and on Saturdays, he cleaned out chicken houses. Two shillings of the half-crown he earned for this was given to his mother.

David left school at the age of 14 and worked as a farm labourer in St Columb. His sister Nellie, married and living in Talskiddy, kept a sisterly eye on him.

When he was 19, David joined the Territorial Army and was called up in January, 1939. That same year he met a St Mawgan girl who shared her Kitkat with him. The friendship blossomed and in October, 1939, David married his beloved Lil.

After a one-night honeymoon, David was back on duty in the Army, serving in North Africa and Sicily until the beginning of 1946.

In November 1946, Lil presented David with a daughter, Gloria. According to family history, David was so disappointed in not having a son, his initial reaction was to send her back! This sentiment did not last, and David proved to be a wonderful, loving father.

On leaving the Army, he had several jobs which included being a stoker at RAF St Mawgan, a bus cleaner and a builder's labourer.

However, his final job proved the most rewarding. David became a nursing auxiliary, caring for patients with learning difficulties, first at Treleigh Boys' Home, in New Road, and then at The Retreat, in St Columb.

He was always interested in gardening and had many part-time gardening jobs until he was 70. He went as far afield as Constantine Bay on his motorbike, on one occasion riding back with one eye shut, as the lens had fallen out of his glasses.

A member of St Columba Celtic Male Voice Choir for 16 years, David resigned at the age of 80 to care for Lil, whose health was failing.

He particularly enjoyed the annual barn concert near St Issey, where he was always warmly welcomed by the choir.

David was also a regular blood donor, reaching his 50th unit goal just before he was forced to stop because of his age.

A devoted father, David delighted in his three grandsons Andrew, Norman and Martin and Gloria was truly forgiven for being a girl!

Later his joy was completed by the arrival of Martin's daughter, Alice, and Andrew's son, Benjamin David.

Sadly Lil's health continued to deteriorate after a bad fall, and she moved into The Hollies, at Roche. Although David seemed to be coping for a while, he too, moved in to spend their last days together. At the Hollies, they enjoyed the compassionate care they so richly deserved. Lil sadly died just days short of their 70th wedding anniversary.

David's life was not an unremitting round of work. He enjoyed a pint or three and there are many amusing tales of scrapes he got into when somewhat merry. Even at his 90th birthday celebration he outdrank his two grandsons, who managed to get him home safely, although he slept on the floor and was not quite himself for a couple of days! He had a wicked sense of humour and an eye for the ladies, vowing to continue to chase them on his hands and knees.

The highlight of David's year was always May 8, Flora Day in Helston, when he would meet up with old friends, ending up at the British Legion Club for a jar or two.

His last visit was in 2010, when a carer, Gloria and Denzil manoeuvred his wheelchair through the crowds.

In May, 2011, David suffered a stroke which robbed him of much of his mobility. However, he continued to interact with the staff and enjoyed the odd glass of whisky.

David was a devoted family man who was respected and loved by all who knew him. He will be greatly missed by his many friends.

It was fitting that this Helston boy was played out of church by the sound of the big bass drum and the music of the Flora Dance.

Family mourners included Gloria and Denzil, daughter and son-in-law; Andrew and Alison; Norman; Martin, also representing Alice, great granddaughter; Philip and Margaret Orchard; John Rawling; Donna Rawling; Ann Rawling; Shirley and John Gordon; Barbara Orchard.

Alice Green, granddaughter, Ben Green, grandson and Mrs J Rawling were unable to attend.

Friends attending included Wing Commander Bill Blackford, RBL St Columb; Tom Turner, RBL and Old Comrades; Dennis Ellery; George and Fran Green; Michelle and Fred Pascoe, Helston Legion; Geoff and Cynthia Minnear; Mrs Sylvia Durkowski; Mr Dye and Lyn Higman from The Hollies.

Funeral arrangements were by Colin Rescorla, St Columb.

Mrs JM Goss Redruth

THE FUNERAL service has taken place at Treswithian Downs Crematorium, Camborne, of Mrs Jacqueline (Jackie) Maud Goss, of Redruth, who has died at the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, at the age of 66. The service was conducted by Pastor Mike Ely.

Jackie was born at Vogue, St Day, and attended St Day School and Trewirgie School. After leaving school she worked at the Woolworth's store in Redruth. She had three children: Amanda, Tony and Michelle.

Jackie took a job at Tolgus School and also at Camborne-Redruth Community Hospital, but ill health forced her to take early retirement from a job she really loved.

Jackie loved gardening and flowers in particular. She was a keen dancer and enjoyed knitting and having family meals together.

She was a country and western fan and loved listening to Daniel O'Donnell. She enjoyed a sense of humour, both normal and twisted!

Jackie had enjoyed reasonable health until seven months ago, when it deteriorated.

Donations were for Cornwall Air Ambulance Trust and total £135.

Family mourners were: Amanda and Mike Davis, Tony and Sam Goss, Michelle and Darren May, children and spouses; Sophie, Jake, Emily, Jamie, Toby and Libby, grandchildren; Nigel and Theo Menheniott, sister and brother-in-law.

Funeral arrangements were by Nick Jose for Colin Matthews Funerals, Camborne.

Mr CV Rendle


THE FUNERAL service has taken place at Treswithian Downs Crematorium, Camborne, for Cyril Vernon Rendle, aged 88 years, of Camborne. The Rev Jim Hunkin officiated.

Cyril Vernon Rendle was born in Upminster, Essex, in October 1923. His father owned a nursery. He had two brothers who predeceased him and one sister, who lives in New Zealand.

In 1937, the family moved to Overstrand, Norfolk, where Cyril worked in the family nursery. At the outbreak of the Second World War, Cyril worked as an electrician converting mill buildings in the UK into ammunition factories before joining the Royal Navy, with which he served in Burma, Australia and Hong Kong.

Upon his discharge he joined his parents and sister in Beacon and met Doreen, his sister's best friend. He worked for Climax and then Holman's, where he was in charge of their plastics division, until his retirement.

Cyril and Doreen married in Beacon Chapel and lived with her parents while building the first of their two homes in Camborne.

They have one daughter, Julia, who lives in Yorkshire; and two grandchildren, Katie and Michael.

Cyril enjoyed developing his garden, walking his King Charles Spaniels, diving, swimming and fishing and owned a boat that he kept at Port Navas.

He also enjoyed pistol shooting and was a member of Holman's Rifle Club and Diving Club, and was also a member of Mount Edgcumbe Lodge.

Over several years his health declined and the family pay tribute to the care and support from his wife of 64 years, Doreen.

Family mourners were: Doreen Rendle, wife; Julia Goldsmith, daughter; Katie Goldsmith, granddaughter; Michael Goldsmith, grandson and bearer; Mr and Mrs Denton Webb, cousins, rep Mr and Mrs Phil Blight, cousins; Mr and Mrs Gerry Valentine, cousins, rep Mrs M Dean and family and Mr G Reed, cousins; Rosemary Dunn, rep Matt and Will Dunn; Paul Pascoe, rep Bev Pascoe; Ed and Michelle Trathen, Kerr Kennedy, Charis Russell-Smith.

Unable to attend were: sister Joyce and husband in New Zealand plus cousins, nieces and nephews overseas and distant.

Funeral arrangements were by David Hendy Funeral Services, Camborne.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters