Login Register
 °

New village would be a 'catastrophe' for Camborne

By WBJLock  |  Posted: March 29, 2014

New village would be a 'catastrophe' for Camborne

The site for the proposed housing near Camborne

Comments (9)

A NEW village of more than 500 homes to be built at Camborne has been branded “a catastrophe”.

Plans have been submitted to build the final 175 houses as part of the new Rosewarne Village project, which will include 535 homes, a village square and retail units off Boiler Works Road, between the residential area and the A30.

But neighbours fear there is a lack of infrastructure including doctors’ surgeries, sewage systems and schools to cope with the influx of residents. Questions have also been raised over who will occupy the homes, with concerns that people in need of housing cannot stretch to the guide price for affordable houses at the site of about £120,000.

Speaking at Camborne Town Council’s planning committee meeting on Monday, Jean Charman claimed 82 per cent of the homes have been constructed for “inward migration” and said there would soon be no green space left.

In a response to the strength of public feeling, chairman of the town’s planning committee, Councillor Adam Crickett, decided to call in representatives from the development to be quizzed by locals. But they have no obligation to uphold the council’s request.

Michael Keeley, who lives opposite the site, told the committee if the final 175 homes were built then he would be living in a “sewage pit”.

He said: “South West Water has confirmed they will not build new pipes to cope with the amount of sewage from the new homes.

“The sewage already spills out onto the field. Lumping concrete on top of this will only make it worse.

“There is a children’s play area there called Red River. If these homes are built then that will quickly become flooded with raw sewage.

“I’m going to be living in a sewage pit and (the site) is a catastrophe.”

David Biggs, former Cornwall councillor, told the committee the plans had been originally recommended for refusal and an order put in place to halt the development until drainage issues have been sorted.

Planning permission for the site was given to Graceloft Ltd by Cornwall Council in 2008 based on certain conditions that included improving highways access.

But in 2011, the plans were resubmitted with alterations and given permission as long as further reserved matters were addressed, relating to access and the appearance of the scheme.

The developer was given three years to address these conditions.

An application was finally submitted earlier this month, ahead of the three-year deadline on Monday.

Mr Crickett predicted the site would be a “death trap” as each of the 175 homes had space for two vehicles.

Building work has already started on other homes as part of the village plan.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

9 comments

  • martian1956  |  March 29 2014, 9:05PM

    There you go spoiling a post again with your uncalled for racist nationalist rant. Live with it, Cornish Only, " Is Never Going To Hapoen" so chill out ty wokki Halve the price is never going to happen either , no matter how much you wish or protest for it.

    |   6
  • Hunlef  |  March 29 2014, 8:20PM

    £120,000 is twice what anyone local could afford. Halve the prices, and earmark for "Cornish only."

    |   -3
  • martian1956  |  March 29 2014, 8:01PM

    I agree the amount needed for deposits and mortgage payments is quite high for an individual but as a household income amount for a couple ( not everyone agreed) it is as acceptable . Ii don't believe it is an unacheavable amount especially compared to some other parts of the country. I also believe that if people stopped objecting to developments, especially larger ones including new retail parks then jobs would be available.It is possible that larger companys would set up in Cornwall if they received less hostility towards them. That's what I think anyway.

    |   3
  • Doitdreckley  |  March 29 2014, 6:52PM

    Objecting during the planning stage is pointless as the system is loaded towards the developers and central government tells Cornwall Council what to do in this regard. £120,000 cost means that people would need a £12,000 deposit and earn over £30,000 a year to pay the mortgage. Not many people like this in Camborne or Cornwall. And where are all the jobs coming from to support the new population?

  • martian1956  |  March 28 2014, 11:50AM

    Knowing this area well I can see nothing more than an improvement if the building of houses goes ahead. With lots of thought extra given to infrastructure and earmarking the homes for locals should make it a worthwhile project . Not sure why some are saying that £120,000 is not an "affordable home cost" though? What do others think a fair affordable price should be?

  • Hunlef  |  March 27 2014, 8:02PM

    These houses should be for local people and local people ALONE!! They should be sold at affordable prices, and have a "locals only" clause for resale.

    |   -5
  • break  |  March 27 2014, 5:46PM

    This area was earmarked for development in the 1990's, applications have been refused by Kerrier until now, when Cornwall Council decides to grant it permission against everyone's wishes. So I'd like to know, why is Cornwall Council called a 'unitary authority'? It clearly isn't unless its unitary only to Government which is as it seems, we don't seem to have any say in what happens in Cornwall. One reason its being developed is because its mining land so therefore its classed as a brownfield site. There's already been ancient mining remains found, such as flat-rod posts and an entrance into surface workings, just look at the surveys done for these developments on the planning register, but then I believe these were also found on the Dolcoath linkroad and they got filled with concrete, so we know Cornwall Council isn't bothered about those. And this being part of West Wheal Seton, which got cut into two when the bypass was built, soon there'll be another development on the opposite side of the bypass on the surviving remains of the mine, I believe the developers are already making plans for that. Just the norm for Camborne.

  • jasonbc  |  March 27 2014, 1:00PM

    Whinging and whining about it after the construction has already started is a pointless exercise they should have put up a beeter argument at the planning stage, however at that stage i suspect backhanders probably went to the correct people so it wasn't an issue then. Both the constructions sites on boiler works road are going to be an eyesore and are not "affordable home" for local people so why they have been built is a mystery

    |   4
  • Barri  |  March 27 2014, 12:39PM

    And the impact of Flooding on this unwelcome development. Will the increase in Council Tax revenue be more or less than the damage caused by Flooding ?

    |   5

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES