Login Register

Neighbours name Camborne couple and their daughter who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

By WBKatri  |  Posted: February 24, 2013

  • The Cook family home at Tremarle Home Park in North Roskear, Camborne

  • The Cook family home at Tremarle Home Park in North Roskear, Camborne

  • A note with flowers left outside the property read: "I did not know you very well but you will be missed by all. I will say a prayer in church on Sunday night, God bless. From Julie and jack.

Comments (0)

DEVASTATED neighbours and friends of an elderly couple and their daughter in Camborne have paid tribute to the family.

John Cook, aged 90, his 86-year-old wife Audrey and their 46-year-old daughter Maureen were found dead yesterday from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in their static caravan at Tremarle Home Park in North Roskear.

Their family dog, a five-year-old Jack Russell called Jannie also died in the incident.

It is understood the family may have been using a heater to keep warm as the region experienced freezing conditions overnight into the weekend.

Related content

Today shocked neighbours and friends of the family paid tribute to the "lovely" couple and

their "gentle" daughter who had been living in the park community for about 40 years.

Fighting back tears, friend Judith Clarke told the West Briton: "They were a nice family

who kept themselves to themselves.

"Maureen was a gentle soul who looked after her mum and dad.

"She loved her dog and she always used to fuss my dog Poppy as she walked by.

"I am absolutely gutted and it's hard to believe they are gone."

Friend Julie Boon, age 55, said the whole community was left shocked and devastated.

She knew the family for 20 years. She said: "I saw Maureen and her mum on Thursday morning when they were walking their dog.

"Maureen asked about my dog Rusko and her mum commented on the cold weather and then they

went. That's the last time I saw them.

"They were a lovely family who loved their dog and their home. The whole community is

shocked and devastated."

Neighbour Margaret Holmes described them as a "quiet family".

She said: "We are devastated; you just don't expect something like this to happen on your doorstep."

And another neighbour Debbie Barkle, aged 53, added: "It was a bit of a shock.

"I often saw them walking their dog and Maureen sometimes stopped to bring some rabbit

food for my pet rabbits."

Firefighters, police and a specialist hazardous material adviser were called to the caravan

on Saturday lunchtime after the family failed to respond to knocks on the door

from the couple's helper who became worried.

Inspector David Eldridge of Devon and Cornwall Police, said: "Shortly before 1pm we were called to a caravan park near Camborne in Cornwall, where a

helper had been unable to get a reply from an elderly couple who lived in the caravan.

"We were able to see that there was a figure sitting in a chair, but the occupants

were unresponsive to knocks at the door. Cornwall fire and rescue were called.

They forced entry into the property and found that the three people were all

dead." 

A spokesman for Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service confirmed carbon monoxide poisoning was believed to have caused the deaths.

MOST POPULAR

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION