Login Register

Match report: Redruth 18 Cornish All Blacks 8

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: December 21, 2013

By Bill Sobey

  • Redruth scrum-half Greg Goodfellow tries to start an attack for his side against the Cornish All Blacks. Pictures: Simon Bryant

  • Full-back Murray Westren got Redruth started with two first-half penalties before Launceston fought back

  • Redruth back Rhodri McAtee started the game against Cornish All Blacks at fly-half

  • Cornish All Blacks' Jamie Tripcony tried his best to break through the Redruth defence

  • Cornish All Blacks fly-half Lewis Webb in action against Redruth

  • Prop Tim Mathias was a try-scorer for the Cornish All Blacks in the first half

Comments (1)

Redruth edged a tight National League Two South derby against the Cornish All Blacks with an 18-8 victory at the Recreation Ground.

A late penalty try for the Reds sealed the win after Tom Notman went over for the home side in the second half following Tim Mathias’ first-half score.

Redruth were also grateful for eight points from the boot of full-back Murray Westren compared to three from his opposite number Kieron Lewitt.

An early All Blacks penalty was kicked into the corner by full-back Lewitt but Reds stole possession at the line-out and took control.

Reds won a penalty of their own in the tenth minute and Westren opted to kick for the posts despite the distance and swirling wind against him. It took a sweet strike to put his side three points ahead.

Westren soon added another in a dominant spell for the home side and hit the post with a third penalty attempt as the Reds looked to keep the scoreboard moving against their great rivals.

However, it was the Launceston men who scored the first try with eight minutes of the opening half remaining. Martin Kneebone’s run into Hellfire Corner stretched the home defence and prop Mathias applied the finish with an unstoppable run over the final few yards for an unconverted score.

The visitors went in at half time trailing by a single point despite spending most of the first half in their own 22.

Redruth extended their lead when Notman caught a looping cross-field kick from Rhodri McAtee on the left, but they were soon down to 14 men when hooker Richard Brown was shown a yellow card by referee Fergus Kirby.

The subsequent Lewitt penalty reduced the arrears to three points as the hour mark approached but his side were unable to draw level while Reds were a man short.

Indeed, it was the All Blacks who came under pressure in the final ten minutes when lock Bryn Jenkins was sent to the sin bin after a series of Redruth penalties.

And the red tide could not be stopped once the hosts got within range of the Launceston try line. Indeed, the visitors’ attempts to halt their progress resulted in a penalty try which Westren converted.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • ChristineWLow  |  December 24 2013, 8:11AM

    my classmate's sister makes $70 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for eight months but last month her income was $17645 just working on the computer for a few hours. try this site ➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨WWW.JOBS59.Cℴm

    Rate 0