A FATHER of two has been jailed for 12 years after a plot to kill family members, a doctor and a social worker and to set off bombs in Truro and Penzance was uncovered.
Christopher Hines-Randle, 54, was also given a five-year extension to his licence period at Truro Crown Court on Friday after the judge ruled that he posed a danger to members of the public.
Police began an enquiry into Hines-Randle after receiving a report from his friend Adrian Richards who told them that he had been making threats to kill people and to make a bomb.
Hines-Randle was homeless at the time and was struggling with the breakdown of his marriage, the court heard.
Philip Lee, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said it was apparent that he felt anger and resentment towards his ex-wife Sharon, her mother Sandra Marten, and two professionals who had been involved with the family; Doctor Jon Doe and social worker Debbie Tully.
Mr Richards told police he was aware of deterioration in the defendant’s state of mind and that in April 2013 had a telephone conversation with him during which Hines-Randle asked if he could get any cool packs from the First Aid kits at his workplace but Mr Richards was unable to.
On June 10 they met in Truro.
Mr Lee said: “During their conversation the defendant asked again about the cool packs.
“When asked why he said they were for making an explosive device.”
Mr Lee said Hines-Randle revealed that he had some knowledge of explosives when he worked at South Crofty Mine.
“He went on to tell Mr Richards that he intended to use the explosives to create a diversion in Truro and Penzance in order to divert police attention to these areas and away from St Austell,” said Mr Lee.
“When Mr Richards asked who was in his hit list, he said there were six people and named four of them as his [ex]-wife Sharon, her mother, Dr Doe and Debbie Tully.
“He said that he had followed Dr Doe home and knew where he lived and that he had followed Debbie Tully but hadn’t yet found her home.
“When asked: ‘You’re not thinking of doing the kids are you?’, he did not reply.”
When asked what he intended to do to intended victims, Mr Lee said Hines-Randle responded that Debbie Tully, Mrs Hines-Randle and her mother were going to have a “slow and painful death because they have made me suffer for two years”.
Mr Richards contacted the police and on June 21 at 6.25am an officer noticed his car in Threemilestone and Hines-Randle appeared to be asleep inside. He was arrested and the car was searched.
The officer found a biscuit tin in the passenger seat foot well which contained items, including gunpowder, that the officer suspected could be the components of an explosive device.
Police sealed off Threemilestone Industrial Estate and specialist officers attended the scene to make sure the items were safe for examination.
At an earlier hearing, Hines-Randle, who has no previous convictions pleaded guilty to charges of making threats to kill, having an explosive device with intent to endanger life and having an explosive substance under suspicious circumstances.
Jeremy Leaning, for the defence, said Hines-Randle’s threats were a fantasy and that that the items found in his car proved that he had not made a viable device.
He said: “This was a plan he firmly maintains he would not have carried through.”
Sentencing, Judge Christopher Harvey Clark, QC, rejected those submissions.
He said: “You are a resourceful man who in my judgment would have been able sooner or later to complete the finished article [bomb].”
Judge Harvey Clark made Hines-Randle the subject of a restraining order not to contact his ex-wife, her mother, Dr Doe, Ms Tully, his two children or Mr Richards.