Login Register

Man accused of murdering 11-month-old son in Bodmin home

By CGGayle  |  Posted: June 05, 2013

Shane Hawkins denies murdering his 11-month-old son

A man shook his baby so violently that it caused fatal brain injuries, a court heard.

Shane Hawkins, 25, stood trial at Truro Crown Court today, accused of the murder his 11-month old son Kaydon at his Bodmin home in December 2010.

Opening the case for the prosecution, Martin Meeke QC told the jury: “Kaydon was only 11-months-old when he died. We say that this defendant killed him by shaking so violently that he caused brain injuries from which the child could not recover

“And having shaken him, he either threw him down into his cot or struck him as he lay causing bruising to the head, which you are going to see."

At around 2.45pm on December 11 2010 paramedics and a GP were called to the Kinsman Estate, Bodmin where they discovered the 11-month-old with serious injuries and struggling to breathe, the court heard.

The prosecution said Kaydon was taken to Trelsike hospital where doctors treated the youngster before he was rushed up to Bristol Royal Hospital for Children where he died three days later.

Mr Meeke said: “The CT scan showed bleeding over the surface of Kaydon’s brain at a number of different sites.

Kaydon had suffered retinal haemorrhaging in both eyes consistent with being shaken violently, he added.

Giving evidence Kaydon’s auntie told the court that she had noticed marks and bruises on the baby in the months prior to his death and said he cried when his father picked him up.

“The only time I can remember that he [Kaydon] didn’t have marks on him was when Shane was working full-time,” said Fiona Libby.

She told the court she had seen the baby with marks on his head the size of a 20 pence piece and what she described as “finger marks,” which looked as though someone had picked him up and held him tightly.

Mr Meeke told the jury of nine women and three men: “You will be satisfied that Kaydon suffered abuse at his father’s hands throughout his young life.”

Mr Hawkins, now of Blackwell Road, Warwickshire, denies murder.

The trial, which is expected to last for twelve days, will continue tomorrow.

Read more from West Briton