Login Register

Rail services in Cornwall have resumed following a near two day suspension

By tobymeyjes  |  Posted: February 16, 2014

First Great Western said the service between St Erth and Plymouth will not resume until tomorrow morning

Comments (1) The main rail service in Cornwall has resumed after a near two day suspension following Friday night’s storm.First Great Western have confirmed the line is once again fully operation between St Erth and Plymouth, however a replacement bus service will be required to reach the end of the line at Penzance.The train operator had hoped to resume the service yesterday however opted to postpone full resumption until today because the amount of debris on the track.An empty service was run along the main line this morning to confirm the track was safe to use. All services in Cornwall and up to Newton Abbot were suspended on Friday because of high winds during the storm.No replacement coach service was available because of the condition of the roads, however most branch lines reopened on Saturday.As well as Penzance, the Looe branch line remains closed because of flooding.

Related news

Two weeks of "better" weather - after rain today

VIDEO AND PICTURES: Damage to beach cafe near Plymouth is revealed

Hero lifeboat volunteer swims to aid of woman with serious head injury in Whitsand Bay beach drama

VIDEO: MoD bills council £17,000 for Calstock cars rescue

Flooding crisis to see A303 upgrade fast-tracked

Brixham breakwater among Torbay's £300,000 storm damage

EXPERT: Global warming did not cause the storms

Schools and colleges ignore advice not to take part in Ten Tors training on Dartmoor

Specialist water pumps switched-off in Somerset because of damage

SOMERSET FLOODING: The distress – and distrust – of family in limbo waiting to go home

VIDEO AND PICTURES: Violent weather and 90ft waves leave yet another trail of destruction across the Westcountry


Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters