Launceston firefighters were called to two chimney fires which broke out less than one hour apart this afternoon.
At 3.30pm two fire crews from Launceston scrambled to a farm in Werrington.
A representative from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: “The chimney was well-alight and caused some concern due to smoke issuing from the roof.
“The fire was confined to the chimney and the crews used a ladder and hosereels to extinguish the fire.”
Less than an hour later, at around 4.20pm, the station received reports of a second chimney fire at a property in Leat in Lifton.
A crew from Bodmin, which was standing-by at Launceston station while the first fire was being dealt with, was called to the property.
The firefighters used chimney rods to extinguish the fire.
Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service issues the following advice to help prevent chimney fires:
• Sweep the chimney before use
• Ensure a fireguard is in front of the fire at all times
• Sparkguards can prevent a serious property fire
• Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house
• Never use petrol or paraffin to light your fire
• Make sure you have a working smoke alarm and check it works regularly
For information on how to reduce the risk of chimney fires visit Cornwall Council’s website