Landlords of a shared house in Newquay have been fined £6,000 for failing to meet housing standards.
Stacey and Michelle Bathe from Cheriton Fitzpaine in Devon failed to protect the health, safety and welfare of their tenants.
Cornwall Council successfully prosecuted the Bathes regarding a house they owned in Trebarwith Crescent that had multiple tenants.
An unannounced inspection of the property was carried out on May 8 last year following a report from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service that it appeared the fire alarm at the building was not working.
Speaking after the hearing at Truro Magistrates Court on Friday, a spokesman for Cornwall Council said: “Numerous breaches of the management regulations were identified and Mr and Mrs Bathe were informed of these breaches in writing but failed, over a significant period of time, to carry out the necessary works to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of their tenants.
“The works identified as necessary ranged from the submission of a valid gas and electrical safety certificates to failing to maintain fire precautions. There was also general disrepair of the property and of the communal areas and garden.”
The defendants did not attend the hearing. The case was heard and the six charges against each defendant were proved in their absence.
Stacey and Michelle Bathe were both fined £3,000 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £120 and costs of £936.76.