Login Register

Illogan close in on Jolly's Combination League title

By West Briton  |  Posted: May 02, 2013

  • Illogan's James Martin battles for possession with Ludgvan's Tom Withecombe during Saturday's top of the table clash at Fairfield. CIoSP.

  • Ludgvan's Jack Wing just beats lllogan striker Luke Wort to the ball.

Comments (0)


ILLOGAN remain six points clear at the top of the Jolly's Cornwall Combination League table after Tuesday's 5-3 win at St Ives Town.

The result means Illogan, who bounced back from Saturday's 2-0 defeat at third placed Ludgvan, now require a further seven points to bring the title back to Oxland Parc.

Luke Wort scored a brace in Tuesday's win at St Ives, with Simon Ellis, James Martin and an own goal completing the scoring.

Jowan May, Tristan Lambert and Martyn Moon replied for the Saints, who remain in sixth spot.

Illogan's closest rivals for the title, St Day won 2-0 at home to lowly Porthleven, with Joe Cooper scoring both goals. The victory sets up a mouth-watering top of the table clash at Oxland Park on Tuesday night (6.30), as Illogan look to avenge their recent League Cup final defeat by the Saints.

Ludgvan meanwhile recorded their sixth successive league win and their 14th in 15 games with a big 7-1 victory at Falmouth Athletic.

Gerens James scored a hat-trick for the Hurlers to take his total for the season to 48, with Ludgvan's other goals came from Dan Magee, Jack Ramsey, Tom Patrick and an own goal. Quaid Saunders netted Athletic's consolation.

St Just picked up their seventh win in eight games with a 4-3 victory at Troon, with skipper Neil Curnow hitting a hat-trick and Darren Steadman also on target for the Tinners, who move up to ninth place. Simon Philips (2) and Mike Turnbull replied for Troon.

Danny Brockwell and Paul Simmons scored the goals which earned RNAS Culdrose a 2-0 win at Goonhavern, while Lee Hazeldine scored the winner as Perranwell defeated Wendron 1-0.

Penryn climbed back above St Agnes in the table as goals from Ryan Reeve, Dan Knowles earned them a 2-1 win at Enys Parc, while Newquay and Mullion played out a goalless draw at Mount Wise.

Elsewhere Hayle Reserves gave their hopes of avoiding relegation a boost with a 4-2 home victory over Pendeen, thanks to a brace from Kevin Lawrence and others from Gary Bell and Ben Hocking.


Ludgvan 2, Illogan RBL 0

LUDGVAN continued their impressive run of form as they overcame league leaders Illogan 2-0 on Saturday to keep their slim title hopes alive, writes Scott Haley.

The win capped off a great week for the Hurlers, who put six past fellow title challengers St Day last week, which prompted manager Anthony Hosking to admit his side still had a chance of winning the league, and he reiterated that stance after this victory.

He said: "Illogan have come down here top of the league and we've more than matched them. We were the better side over the 90 minutes and scored two good goals.

"We've lowered the gap now and they've still got some tough games to play. We'll keep going and whatever happens, we've had a great season. We're a young side and we're only going to get better."

Illogan may still be strong favourites to claim their first Combination League title since 2010, but this result suggests there are still a few more twists and turns to come as the season reaches it's climax, although boss Mike Pascoe isn't panicking just yet.

He said: "We're not going to beat ourselves up about this result. We're still where we want to be and the league is still in our hands.

"Credit to Ludgvan, they took their chances and we didn't. They deserve to be up there because they've beaten some top sides this season. I hope they finish second."

With several players missing, Hosking took a gamble in playing forward Gerens James, who has found the net 45 times this season, at centre half, and the league's top marksman didn't look out of place at the back alongside the impressive Mark Richards as they kept the league leaders at bay.

The woodwork was struck three times in a first half which also had its controversy as the home side were adamant Illogan skipper Simon Ellis deserved more than just a yellow card for a rash tackle on Ludgvan's Joe Day.

And they would have been even more furious shortly after had the midfielder's curling effort found the top corner instead of coming back off the bar, just as James Martin and Tom Patrick had done in the opening ten minutes.

Tom Withecombe then came close for Ludgvan, who were starting to put their stamp on the game and could have had a penalty just before the break when Patrick was brought down in the area but referee Neil Rudkin waved play on.

The swirling wind encouraged both sides to shoot from distance and it continued in the second half as Martin again came close as both sides looked for an opener.

And when Dan Magee's dipping effort came back off the bar just after the hour mark, it was starting to look like the game would end in a stalemate before the hosts made the breakthrough after 67 minutes.

The visitors could only clear Jack Wing's corner as far as Jack Ramsey on the edge of the area who controlled the ball before firing an unstoppable effort past Shaun Carter in to the bottom corner.

It was no more than the home side deserved and for all Illogan's pressing, they had no answer to Ludgvan's stern defence and found themselves two down with two minutes to go.

After breaking down another Illogan attack, Patrick was sent clear, skipping past Kurtis Long before firing high in to the net to seal a memorable victory and keep his side's title hopes alive.

LUDGVAN: M Stevens, J Tonkin, J Wing (C Penny 84), G James (c), M Richards, J Ramsey, H James, J Day, T Widdercombe, D Magee, T Patrick. Subs not used: Z Podd, A Fletcher, T Hosking.

Goals: Ramsey (67), Patrick (88).

Booked: G James.

ILLOGAN: S Carter, M Roberts (Ben Widdershoven 58 (D Bowman 71)), G Pitt, S Peters, K Long, R Bray, J Roberts, S Ellis (c), J Martin, L Wort, D Pullen. Subs not used: A Kemp.

Booked: Ellis.

Referee: Neil Rudkin.

Briton MoM: Mark Richards (Ludgvan) – Solid as a rock all afternoon. A calm and composed defensive performance.

Elsewhere on Saturday, St Day beat Falmouth Town 9-1 at Vogue.

Veteran marksman Andy Trathen rolled back the years with two of the goals, while Mike Davies scored a brace.

The Saints' others came from Ryan Trathen, Martin Day, Chris Tolley, Terry Rowe and Tom Hogarth.

Pendeen Rovers were 4-1 winners over visiting Falmouth Athletic with the Rovers' goals coming from Jamie Payne, Scott Meagor, Jack Willis and Stuart Strong.

Ian Hodges scored the only goal of the game as St Ives Town beat RNAS Culdrose 1-0 at The Saltings, while St Just were 3-1 winners at home to Troon, with goals from Darren Steadman, Toby Cape and Andrew Curnow.

Relegation threatened Newquay won 3-1 at Wendron, while Perranwell won 4-1 at St Agnes and Rob Carey hit a hat-trick for Mullion in a 3-2 home victory over Goonhavern.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters