Login Register

House owners thank efforts of firefighters

By West Briton  |  Posted: October 16, 2012

  • The fire-damaged house – the cause is thought to be accidental.

Comments (0)

A COUPLE whose Port Navas home was destroyed by fire at the weekend have thanked the community for their support.

A total of 40 firefighters spent several hours tackling the blaze at John and Margaret Green's property at Calamansac on Saturday morning.

The couple were able to move into one of a number of holiday lets on their property overlooking the Helford River.

"We are very lucky we have a house to move into," said Mrs Green. "We have had so much support from the wonderful community, from friends and neighbours."

She added that fire crews were able to save "lots of lovely things" from their home, including a number of paintings.

The alarm was raised by someone on a boat in the river who could see the house was on fire and smoke coming from the roof just after 9am.

A second reported that the couple may have been inside the wooden-framed house.

Two crews from Falmouth were initially sent to the scene.

A spokesman for the fire brigade said: "Due to difficult access to the premises a further four firefighters in a Landrover from Falmouth were mobilised. "

The house was "heavily smoke-logged and showing signs of backdraught and flash-over fire potential."

A team searched the ground floor and it was later confirmed Mr Green, who founded the Helford River Children's Sailing Trust, and his wife were not at the house.

They were actually in London at the time and returned home after receiving a call about the blaze.

Water carriers were called in from Wadebridge, along with crews from Helston and Camborne. A local farmer assisted fire crews with access to the premises and helped move equipment.

Three hours later, despite efforts of firefighters, the blaze had spread to the first floor, with about 60 per cent of the property destroyed.

By 2pm fire crews were damping down and carrying out salvage – an operation that continued until 9pm.

The cause is believed to have been accidental.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters