Login Register

Helston back in business against ten-man Callington

By Lee_Hall  |  Posted: February 22, 2014

Kellaway Parc.

Comments (0)

Helston Athletic 5, Callington Town 1

Helston Athletic’s first league game since Boxing Day ended with a convincing victory at Kellaway Parc against ten-man Callington Town.

The Blues showed no signs of any rustiness as they raced into a 4-1 lead in the first half as Lee Beer’s Town were forced to play for more than an hour with ten men after Mike Norman was sent off for a butt on Helston midfielder Phil Black.

Helston led after just five minutes when Mark Goldsworthy was left with an easy finish from close range after Callington goalkeeper Sam Borthwick had tipped Dan Stidwell’s long range effort on to the bar.

Ash Stidwell doubled Helston’s lead in the 26th minute with the goal of the game, a brilliant curling effort into the top corner.

And after Callington had Norman red carded, Goldsworthy then tapped in goal number three after 39 minutes following some unselfish play from Black.

Town captain Fergus Nevin curled a superb effort in off the bar in the 45th minute, but straight from the restart it was 4-1 when Black scored from close range.

The ten men of Callington gave a much better account of themselves in the second half as Helston went through the motions.

But the Blues did add to the scoring late on when, in the second minute of stoppage time, substitute Keegan McPhilbin fired home after Callington lost possession on the edge of their own box.

Helston: J Wignall, A Stidwell, C Strike, J Thomson, H Howlett, A Collick, P Black (G Molcher 55), C Young (K McPhilbin 80), T Russell, M Goldsworthy, D Stidwell (M Fox 75). Subs (not used): M Webster, S Jenkin.

Callington: S Borthwick, L Dart (G Jones 78), G Williams, A Casey, M Norman, F Nevin, K Smith (J McCabe 78), L Beer, S Stevens, R Lucassi, C Farnham (A Rodrikov 65).

Referee: Steve Nute (Saltash).

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters