Login Register

Half-time home truths set Redruth on way to win against Clifton

By West Briton  |  Posted: December 20, 2012

  • Redruth full back Tom Notman tries to break to the line against Clifton.

  • Ashley Hosking kicks a conversion for Redruth in Saturday's victory over Clifton.

  • Redruth lock Damien Cook is blocked by the Clifton defence.

Comments (0)

Redruth 39, Clifton 11

A POWERFUL second half performance during which the Reds scored five tries saw off the challenge of plucky visitors Clifton, writes Bill Hooper.

At half-time Redruth only led 7-3 with Clifton having enjoyed long periods of territorial domination, the Redruth faithful sat a little uneasily sipping their half-time beverages.

Below stairs in the home team dressing room a few choice words were imparted as skipper Chris Fuca acknowledged after the final whistle: "We were a bit teasy with each other and a few choice words were expressed, we rolled up our sleeves and looked a far better side second half.

"I think we may have underestimated Clifton a little bit, but fair play to them they knocked us out of our stride early on, but we stuck in there and turned it round, there is still more to come from us, hopefully next week up at Launceston but we will take it as any other game. After all it's just 30 blokes chasing after a rugby ball!"

Clifton dominated the early exchanges with their backline causing the Reds a few headaches. Full back Will Pomphrey looked very dangerous when in the line.

Despite their domination all the visitors had to show for the efforts was a penalty kicked by Bradley Barnes, whilst gilt-edged try scoring opportunities were spurned.

Redruth gradually got the upper-hand through their forwards with both locks Damien Cook and Chris Bailey excelling in the loose.

They took the lead when electing to scrum a penalty near the Clifton line, the forward drive shoved the visiting pack over the whitewash presenting Tom Duncan with a simple try, his 13th of the season, Ashley Hosking added the extras.

The result of the half-time soul-searching saw Redruth shuffle their backline, introducing Murray Westren at full back.

Westren made an immediate impact setting up Tom Notman for Redruth's second try. The flying winger slipping two attempted tackles on the way to scoring.


Despite missing the conversion Hosking kicked a penalty to further stretch Redruth's advantage to 15-3.

Clifton were clearly shaken by Redruth's strong start to the second period and they looked to play their way back in to the game. A period of pressure in the Reds' 22 saw home prop Craig Williams yellow carded for a ruck infringement.

The visitors took advantage to score an unconverted try from a catch-and-drive through skipper John Levis.

In the final quarter the Reds upped the tempo bringing on fresh legs off the bench. A fine break from scrum-half Greg Goodfellow which saw him hand off some pretty ineffectual attempted tackles took play almost up to the Clfton line, hooker Richard Brown was on hand to take the scoring pass, Paul Thirlby, on for Hosking adding the conversion.

Despite a second penalty kicked by Barnes for Clifton it was Redruth who ran riot in the closing stages. Prop Darren Jacques claimed the bonus point try after being driven over by his pack following a lineout in the Frame Suite corner.

Moments later it was Luke Collins claiming the fifth try as he powered over impressively with the help of the pack in the scoreboard corner.

Finally centre Frazer Kellythorn finished off some good work from Craig Bonds and Duncan to claim the sixth and final try, to which Thirlby added the conversion with the final kick of the game.

Attention now turns to Saturday's Cornish derby with the Cornish All Blacks, which will no doubt be another titanic tussle on the banks of the river Tamar. Redruth will need no reminding that they have yet to savour the sweet taste of victory at the East Cornwall club's Polson Bridge ground in the league.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters