Discounted fares are now available on trains affected by the destruction of the rail line at Dawlish.
Train operator First Great Western has knocked 25 per cent off some tickets in the wake of the rail line being smashed up by storms.
The discount will continue until the line is repaired. That is expected to take at least six weeks and a replacement bus service is in place between Plymouth and Exeter.
A 25 per cent discount will apply to all walk-up fares - including any time, off-peak, super off-peak and weekly season tickets - for journeys that pass through the affected area.
Mark Hopwood, First Great Western managing director, said: “We recognise that this work will mean customers are inconvenienced, and journey times are likely to take longer than normal as we look at alternative ways of getting customers to where they need to go. We want our prices to reflect that.
“No-one should lose out because of this. FGW's promise is that anyone who has been unable to purchase an Advance Purchase ticket because they were removed from the system and paid more than they would have done normally, will be reimbursed the difference."
The same discount will apply to monthly and annual season tickets for the period of time in which the line is out of action. Holders of these season tickets will be contacted directly with details of how this rebate will be applied.
Advance Purchase fares will also be reintroduced on the route for combined bus and rail fares from Wednesday next week. The company said it had been unable to offer Advance Purchase tickets – which are tied to specific trains - since Wednesday, as it was unable to guarantee which trains would be running.