Login Register

Grassroots Sport: Truro Jan 23

By West Briton  |  Posted: January 23, 2014

Comments (0)



With the 2014 cricket season on the horizon and indoor cricket nets about to start, one village cricket team is about to embark on a new beginning.

PerranarWorthal Cricket Club has one of the most idyllic village cricket grounds in the County.

Up until last season the club played a high level of county cricket.

However after the first team's poor performance in 2013, which resulted in them getting relegated from County One, they have decided to start this season in a lower division and with a new captain.

The first team will play in Division 3 West and are looking to build their squad up to have an enjoyable and successful season both on and off the field of play.

The club have appointed last year's 2nd team captain Brian Fisher to skipper the 1st XI and he is looking to attract new players to the club to add to the existing players from last year.

Fisher said: "We decided, at the end of last season, that we needed a year or two to rebuild the first team on the field.

"We would like to attract a few new players who want to play cricket at this beautiful village cricket ground with a friendly and fun group of people."

Perran-ar-Worthal CC will field three teams this coming season in Division 3, 5 and 7 West.

If you are interested in playing cricket for the club, training takes place at the Sir Ben Ainslie Sports Centre indoor nets at Truro School, every Monday 6pm-8pm starting February 3, where Fisher said he and his fellow players would provide a warm welcome.

If you would like any further information please contact vice-chairman Ben Conroy on 07985 581581 or benconroy@conroys.gb.com



Truro 10 Swindon 2

Truro stormed to the top of The Championship in the Davis Wood Men's League with this ten goal demolition of struggling Swindon at Truro School on Saturday in their first game of 2014.

They took over on goal difference from Robinsons A, who were held to a 2-2 draw at University of Exeter C.

But Truro did not make the best of starts as a string of missed tackles allowed Swindon to take the lead after only two minutes of play.

But the city side soon regrouped and took control of the game.

They passed it round with ease, often penetrating the Swindon defence and threatening to score before Tommy Haigh opened the scoring, finishing off a well worked team move.

Ed Varco made it 2-1 to Truro shortly after with a dazzling run that saw him pick up the ball in his own half and beat several Swindon players before off loading it to James Westaway.

Westaway bounced the ball back to Varco who slotted it home before celebrating his first goal of 2014.

Truro's third came courtesy of Cuthbert Shepherd. A long ball from Adam Tatlow split the defence and allowed Shepherd an easy touch on the goal line.

Sam Dunstan added a fourth before half time with a well placed shot that found the net despite the goalkeeper's best efforts.

The second half was a continuation of the first for the home side who made it 5-1 in the opening couple of minutes.

Another good strike from Sam Dunstan seemed goal bound until the Swindon keeper pulled out a good save.

The rebound found Calum Westaway on the back post who had an easy tap in to secure his first goal of the season.

James Dunstan was the next Truro player to cash in with yet another well executed penalty corner that left the keeper scrabbling.

Truro looked excellent in attack and proved why they are pushing for promotion. Benjamin Eddy made it 7-1, James Westaway scored number eight and Ed Varco got his second of the game to make it 9-1.

Swindon scored a second late on in the game as Truro were caught on the break after committing so many players forward.

Tommy Gun ended the scoring for the day as he turned in a James Dunstan penalty corner to make it 10-2.

Truro looked like a good unit throughout this fixture and will hope to continue this run of form when they travel away to Gloucester City this Saturday for what will be a far tougher test against the home side who have won five out six at home.



St Just Reserves 1 Trispen 6

There was controversy prior to the Trelawny League Division 2 match as St Just when officials telephoned to postpone the game as late as 12.30pm with the Trispen squad already having set off for this long trip west.

The travelling "green army" though were rewarded when the match official Francis Hood undertook a pitch inspection and declared the pitch safe and playable much to the consternation of the St Just ground staff.

The match itself struggled to live up to the pre-match excitement and on a wet and heavy pitch Trispen failed to get into any sort of rhythm.

Lewis Dodd led the forward line in style though as he put the visitors into the lead with a fine finish from a tight angle in the 27th minute. St Just then came straight back at Trispen and equalised two minutes later with a flowing move leading to Matt Baily giving keeper Shane Tangye no chance.

St Just came out for the second half with energy and put the Trispen back four under severe pressure, however, the storm was weathered and two quick goals from Jonny Ridd and Lewis Dodd knocked the stuffing out of the hosts.

The last 20 minutes were relatively comfy with further goals from Ridd and Lewis Dodd who completed his hat trick and showing an impressive appetite for goals.

An own goal completed the scoring adding the sixth goal in the 85th minute and there was still time for further chances to go begging including an extravagant miss while standing on the goal line from what appeared to be Mark Boaden, although with the mist descending the identity of the culprit cannot be confirmed.

The Trispen match ball was sponsored by Vanilla Bar and Standen Opticians.

Schools' rugby


Truro School's 1st XV are through to the last 16 of the NatWest U18 Cup for the third successive year and are set to play Stowe School from Oxfordshire at home on Monday (2pm).

Graham Whitmore, the school's Director of Sport, said: "This match is going to be a tremendous test of character, tactics and skill for our players against one of the country's leading school sides.

"Stowe has invested heavily into rugby as a performance sport over recent years and will pose a very strong challenge.

"However, we have a number of lads who have played at this stage of the competition before and I am certain they can draw on their previous experiences, and in particular, from last season's quarter-final game against Hampton.

"We have real quality running through the side, led by South West divisional players Locryn Williams, Dan Rutter and Will Whitworth, alongside several others who played in the Under 15 final at Twickenham three years ago.

"We are again hoping for good support from the school and local community to spur the lads on to another quarter-final place in the competition."



Some 28 Perranporth ladies played in a Greensomes competition on Saturday and despite looking like rain most of the time everyone stayed dry and the scores were good.

The winners on countback countback on the last three holes , with 41 points were Jan Sargeant and Jo Rysdale

In second place, also with 41 points, was Nikki Hodge & Joan Hurst. Third on 39 points were Lynne Fleming and Kath Allen


Recording the best score of the Perranporth Winter League during the 15 hole period Bruce Edwards and Steve Sperring had 42 pts on Saturday.

Leaving a field of 72 players in their wake they dove-tailed to great effect. 24pts on the front nine topped up with 18 pts on the back six in not the greatest conditions was good golf indeed.

In 2nd place were Willie Simpson and Andy May on 40 pts who in turn were two points clear of Simon Pearce and Simon Fleming in 3rd place with 38 pts.

Three pairings scored 36 pts and separated on count-back in descending order, they were: Alastair Chivers / Graham Etherton ( 15 back six), Matt Dowson/ Tony Collet (14), and Simon Wordley/ Phil Pendarves (12). Martin Edwards and Harry Billing were 7th with 35 pts (17) whilst Gary Faraway and Steve Cox took 8th place, also on 35 pts(15).

The Open Winter Foursomes quarter-finals were played on Sunday at PGC and it has set up a consecutive father/son versus father/son semi-final.

Last year the Chivers boys, Alastair and Sam, beat a pair of Kirtons, Norman and Sandy.

This year they are drawn to play Dick and Simon Perkins thereby guaranteeing a Perran pair in the final.

The other semi-final will be contested by Paul Turpin and Dave Saget (Carlyon Bay) against John Pease and Kevin Brenton (St Enodoc), to be played on Sunday February 9.

Club president Martin Edwards and Sandy Kirton also made it through to the semi-final of the Plate competition.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters