Login Register

Football: Truro City Reserves 1, Bude Town 1

By West Briton  |  Posted: February 06, 2014

  • IT'S GOOD TO TALK: Referee Chris Stevens and City first team boss Steve Massey exchange pleasantries.

Comments (0)

THE new management trio in charge of Truro City's reserve side – Robin Watt, John Peters and Steve Flack – have been given the target of getting the team into the Premier Division of the Carlsberg SWPL.

It is unlikely to happen this season on the evidence of Saturday's game, when the trio, who have been recruited from Foxhole took charge for the first time.

Even the addition of a smattering of first team players after their Calor League premier division game at Redditch Utd was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch could not help[ them get off a a winning start.

On paper, it was a game City would have been expected to win against a Bude team struggling at the wrong end of the table with just two wins to their credit.

But the fierce wind was a great leveller and the North Cornwall club were good value for their win.

First teams Warren Daw, Jordan Copp and Shane White, in an unfamilar role up front, were all given a run out, while there was a welcome return to the club of Tom Smith, who led them to the FA Vase triumph at Wembley in 2007.

Bude began brightly with City's American keeper Jai Gilpin having to make a smart save from Charlie Watton, while Billy Hopcroft missed a good opening when he shot wide.

City found it difficult to get to get into the game and first team manager Steve Massey's advice from the touchline brought the displeasure of referee Chris Stevens, though to little effect.

As the half wore on City got more into the match, with White lobbing wide, while Ashley Smeeth was denied by Bude keeper Gary Dinshaw after going clear with his follow up effort then cleared off the line.

Dinshaw then brought an excllent save from Dinshaw, while substitute Mike Davies rattled the bar with a long range effort

But it was Bude who made the breakthrough ten minutes into the second half with Adam Smith playing in Hopcroft on the right of the area and the striker finished well into the far corner.

Ten minutes later City though were back on level terms when fine work down the right by White saw him pull the ball back for Tom Langford to drill a low shot past Dinshaw.

Truro could have won it stoppage time, with substitute Connor Davey clipping the top of the bar but that would have been hard on hard working Bude side, while Truro have plenty of work to do if they are to mount a promotion challenge.

This Saturday Truro take a break from league action when they travel to play Callington in the quarter-finals of the Charity Cup.

In the only other Division One West game to go ahead, Perranporth were beaten 2-0 home by Dobwalls.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters