Login Register

Football: Teenage keeper inspires Mullion to shock Senior Cup victory

By West Briton  |  Posted: December 12, 2013

  • KEEP OUT: a clash outside the area between St Blazey striker Danny Zalick and Helston keeper Mark Thomas, which saw Zalick win the battle, but his resulting shot rebounded off the post to safety.

Comments (0)

MULLION produced the shock of the Cornwall Senior Cup second round on Saturday with a 2-1 victory at Wadebridge Town.

The Combination League side clinched victory with a 54th minute strike from Alan Thomas.

But it was their teenage goalkeeper, Jordan Lugg, who inspired them to the win with a brilliant performance.

The 16-year-old pulled off a string of fine saves as Mullion frustrated the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League division one west side.

It had started well for Wadebridge as recent signing from Bodmin, Luke Hodge, headed them into a 10th minute lead.

Mullion, eighth in the Combination League, drew level in the 52nd minute through Iestyn Head before Thomas's winner two minutes later.

St Blazey made sure of their place in the third round with a 3-2 victory over last season's beaten finalists Helston Athletic at Blaise Park.

The Green & Blacks had trailed to Mark Goldsworthy's 21st minute strike, before fighting back to lead through goals from George Swain (43) and Tornado Bello (47).

Danny Zalick tapped home St Blazey's third goal, before Matt Fox made for a nervy finale after pulling a goal back for the Blues.

Torpoint Athletic advanced to the next round as two goals in the final three minutes from Ben Applegate helped them see off Camelford.

Combination League joint leaders St Day are through to the competition's last 16 for the first time after a comprehensive 4-1 victory over Falmouth Athletic.

Two Jason Robertson goals in the opening 30 minutes set them on their way, with further strikes added in the second half by Lewis Ellis and Gavin Boon.

Matt Tippett scored Athletic's consolation eight minutes from time.

Dobwalls booked their place in the next round with a 4-1 win over division one west rivals Truro City – despite losing leading scorer Martyn Hake to injury in the opening five minutes.

They led at the break through Jack Bartlett's 41st minute back heeled goal.

Bartlett grabbed his second in the 52nd minute with a low finish after controlling Simon Skews' searching long range pass.

And after a good piece of trickery from Harry Hook he played in Steve Tapper to scorer Dobwalls' third.

Andy Bowker pulled a goal back for Truro, before Hook claimed his second to complete the win for Paul Andrews' men.

Launceston overcame Falmouth Town 2-1 to advance to the third round.

The Clarets led on the hour mark when Sam Davey fired low into the bottom corner.

Luke Doddridge doubled the Clarets' lead with a spectacular effort, before Town pulled one back in the 83rd minute through Andy Westgarth, but it was little more than a consolation.

Martin Watts marked his long-awaited return to action with a goal in St Austell's 4-1 win over Perranporth at Poltair Park on Saturday.

Watts has been sidelined for several months with a knee injury, but he was among the scorers at the weekend as the Lillywhites overcame a plucky Perranporth side.

Dan Lean headed St Austell into an 11th minute lead, before former Newquay striker Paul Robertson levelled for the Pilchards in the 47th minute.

Carl Rickard put Town back in front three minutes later, before goals from substitute Watts, with his first touch, and Lee Whetter (penalty) made sure of victory.

Callington Town came out on top in a seven-goal thriller at home to Penryn Athletic.

Three goals in seven first half minutes put Callington in control, with Gary Williams, Luke Avis-Riordan and Carlton Farnham finding the net.

After Dale Band pulled a goal back for the visitors, Avis-Riordan scored his second to put Callington 4-1 up.

However, further goals from Band and Dave Broglino for Penryn ensured a nervy closing few minutes as Dobwalls held on for victory.

Smart finishing by hat-trick hero Luke Wort helped Wendron to an away victory over Kilkhampton, but they needed three extra-time goals to secure their place in the third round of the Senior Cup.

The Cornwall Combination League side began well enough and Wort gave them a deserved lead midway through the first half.

Kilkhampton stuck to their task, however, and the East Cornwall League side produced a second half improvement that brought an equaliser from Liam Bunning, following a corner by Gary Walter.

Wendron's quality finishing paid off in extra-time with two more goals from Wort along with a single strike by Steve Brewer.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters