Login Register

Football: Jolly's Cornwall Combination League round-up February 20

By West Briton  |  Posted: February 20, 2014

  • ON THE RUN: Illogan's Joe Carlyon bursts through the Penryn midfield during Saturday's Combination League game at Oxland Parc, one of only two matches to beat the weather. Geoff Hichens.

Comments (0)

ILLOGAN extended their lead at the top of the Jolly's Combination League to 14 points after hitting Penryn for six at Oxland Parc on Saturday.

It was the 17th league win in a row for the champions, who are aiming for promotion to the South West Peninsula League next season.

And despite playing more games than their title rivals, on this form it is hard to see anybody catching Mikey Pascoe's side who last lost back in August against Ludgvan – their only league defeat this season.

Penryn did well to keep the hosts at bay in the opening 45 minutes with goalkeeper Chris Symonds making a number of crucial saves, but there was nothing he could do after the break as a clinical Illogan came out all guns blazing.

Pascoe said: "I thought their keeper kept them in it in the first half with a couple of good saves but I told them at half-time to be patient and the goals will come.

"Two quick goals after the break and a third shortly after killed the game and I thought we took all of our goals really well.

"We looked a bit rusty as we've had no game for three weeks but it's our 17th win on the bounce and puts us 14 points clear."

All the hard work the visitors put in during the first half was undone less than 20 minutes after the restart as they found themselves four down in what boss Terry Jarvis described as "a manager's nightmare".

He said: "We frustrated them in the first half and had two or three chances of our own but as far as the second half goes, it was a manager's nightmare.

"I'm very disappointed with our performance. To concede the goals so quickly was poor but it's a learning curve for the boys.

"Defensively we were all over the place but our goalkeeper was superb despite conceding six so I feel sorry for him."

The visitors actually started the brighter, with Ryan Reeve taking advantage of some lacklustre Illogan defending but home keeper Shaun Carter was on hand to deny the lively winger.

It would be Carter's opposite number who was the busier of the two however, as Illogan soon found their feet and pushed for an opener.

Symonds did well to keep out Sam Waters and a Luke Abbott-Smith effort, before the midfielder was found by his brother Steve unmarked inside the area but he couldn't hit the target from close range.

Ryan Martt cleared another Waters effort off the line before the centre forward was superbly denied by Symonds on the stroke of half-time, with James Martin placing the rebound wide.

However, all of the keeper's hard work was undone two minutes after the restart as Illogan finally got their goal, causing the floodgates to open.

Steve Abbott-Smith, playing in an unfamiliar right back position, ghosted in to the area unmarked and slammed home from a Martin cross to give his side the lead.

Waters doubled the score line a minute later, tapping home after Dan Bowman's shot had been tipped on to the crossbar, before Martin finished well after taking advantage of some sloppy defending from Martin McGhee.

And Illogan were out of sight just after the hour mark when Steve Abbott-Smith's fantastic cross was headed home by substitute Dan Richards.

Carter was a spectator for the majority of the second half but he had to be alert to deny Connor Edgson after 70 minutes, while Symonds did superbly to tip Steve Abbott-Smith's 35 yard effort around the post.

The stand in full back turned provider again in the last minute, with Martin heading home his second and Illogan's fifth from another pinpoint cross.

But the best was saved until last when Simon Ellis was picked out on the edge of the box by Luke Johnson in stoppage time, and the skipper showed superb technique to fire home a sublime first time volley in to the top corner, sealing victory in style.

Illogan: S Carter, J Carlyon, K Long, S Emery (S Fenton 64), S Abbott-Smith, J Martin, S Ellis (c), L Abbott-Smith, M Roberts, D Bowman D Richards (54), S Waters (L Johnson 58).

Scorers: S Abbott-Smith (48), Waters (49), Martin (53 & 90), Richards (63), Ellis (90).

Penryn: C Symonds, R May, R Martt, M Potts, M McGhee (M Symonds 74), T Campbell, A Blakey-May, S Bromley, R Reeve, R Symonds (R Bowden 67), B Manly (C Edgson 58).

Booked: Manley, Reeve.

Referee: Adam Price (Illogan).

West Briton MoM: Steve Abbott-Smith – Played out of position but didn't put a foot wrong at full back defensively as well as going forward, scoring once and setting up another two.

Hayle's home match with Porthleven was the only other Combination League game to go ahead last weekend as the torrid weather continued to disrupt football across the county.

Scott James struck for Hayle while Marcus Smith was on hand to score from the spot for the visitors as both teams went in at the break all square, but neither side was able to find a winner in the second half.

The result keeps Porthleven second from bottom while Hayle remain in 14th.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters