Login Register

Firefighters tackle chimney fire in Truro

By CG_Steve  |  Posted: February 19, 2014

Fire4
Comments (0)

FIREFIGHTERS were called out to extinguish a chimney fire at a home on Midway Drive in Truro this afternoon.

They used special rods to tackle the flames at around 1.10pm.

Last month Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service warned homeowners to ensure chimneys were regularly swept following a spate of such fires.

A spokesman said crews were called out to several hundred chimney fires a year in the county – and most could have been prevented.

The ‘credit crunch’ meant more people were using open fires and wood burners in a bid to slash their electricity, oil and gas bills.

The spokesman said: “Most chimney fires are preventable. Regular inspection and cleaning of chimney flues will help prevent fires within chimneys.

“We are urging anyone who plans to light their fire this winter to get it swept first. The cost of a chimney sweep is very small, approximately £30, when compared to dealing with the damage and cost of repair from a fire.”

He said homeowners should follow simple rules to stay safe: sweep the chimney before use; ensure a fireguard is in front of the fire at all times; extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house; never use petrol or paraffin to light a fire; make sure smoke alarms work.

Coal fire chimneys should be swept twice a year, or once a year for smokeless fuel, while wood burning fires need sweeping four times a year when in use, he said. Gas and oil fire chimneys should be swept once a year.

Latest statistics show that there are approximately 6,000 chimney fires a year in England.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR