Fire crews attended a chimney fire at Cawsand yesterday and the Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to get their chimneys swept.
Firefighters from Torpoint and Saltash attended the blaze at St Andrews Street in Cawsand, near Torpoint at 2.15pm.
A fire spokesman said: “On arrival crews used chimney rods and small tools to extinguish the fire.”
The Fire and Rescue Service says that the latest statistics show that there are approximately 6,000 chimney fires a year in England.
Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service attended 216 incidents between 2011 and 2012, where most of these incidents could have been prevented.
Since the credit crunch, it appears that more people are using open fires and wood burners, because of the rising costs of gas, electricity and oil, the fire service says.
A recent incident also highlighted the dangers of a blocked central heating flue where an elderly couple suffered from the effects of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
This can happen with any fossil fuel system, which includes both the appliance and the flue, if it is faulty or the room is not properly ventilated.
The fire service explained that most chimney fires are preventable - regular inspection and cleaning of chimney flues will help prevent fires within chimneys.
They are urging anyone who plans to light their fire to get it swept first.
The cost of a chimney sweep is very small, from approximately £30 when compared to dealing with the damage and cost of repair from a fire.
If you would like free advice on chimney fire safety, contact the free phone community fire safety helpline on 0800 3581 999.