Login Register

Fear over gas cylinders as tent on fire at Portscatho campsite on Roseland peninsula

By WBGraeme  |  Posted: August 23, 2014

The tent was completely destroyed. Picture: Mark Hewitt, group manager, Cornwall Fire & Rescue Service

Comments (0)

A TENT  with gas cylinders inside burnt to the ground at a campsite on the Roseland peninsula on Saturday afternoon..

Although the tent was completely destroyed, the fire did not spread and there were no reports of injuries.

The incident happened at Portscatho and firefighters were called from St Mawes and Truro.

A fire spokeswoman said: “Crews attended a report of a fire at a camp site in Portscatho. On arrival crews found a tent to be well alight.”

She said two firemen breathing masks used one a water hosereel to extinguish the fire.

A water relay was set up from a hydrant to cool gas cylinders which were involved in the fire.

She added: “The tent was completely destroyed by fire, the cause was believed accidental and did not spread to any further tents.”

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service have issued the following safety advice:

Caravans and bottled gas:

Always change cylinders in open air, away from any source of ignition.

Check connections are tight.

Turn off at main valve when not in use.

Keep cylinders outside your caravan.

Before going to bed or leaving the caravan, turn off all appliances. Turn off cylinders unless appliances (such as a fridge) are designed to run continuously.

Never use a cooker or a heater while caravan is moving.


Take care when cooking - don't leave fat pans unattended.

Keep matches out of the reach of children.

If you smoke, use metal ashtrays.

Never smoke in bed.

Children should not be left alone in a caravan.

Camping and tents:

Allow at least 6m spacing between tents and caravans.

Never use candles in or near a tent. Torches are much safer.

Flammable liquids and Liquefied Petroleum Gas cylinders should be kept outside the tent.

Oil burning appliances are not recommended.

Cooking appliances should not be used in small tents.

Keep cooking appliance away from walls and the roof where it can be easily knocked over.

For more information see the website www.cornwall.gov.uk/community-and-living/cornwall-...

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters