Login Register

Father Darren Bown of Perranporth punched ex's new boyfriend at Springfield's children's pony centre

By West Briton  |  Posted: December 24, 2013

Father Darren Bown of Perranporth punched ex's new boyfriend at Springfield's children's pony centre

A PERRANPORTH father who punched his wife's new partner at a children's birthday party came "perilously" close to going to jail.

Darren Bown, 31, was in a relationship with Sophie Harris for four years and the couple had a two-year-old son together but they had broken up when she took their son to a birthday party at Springfields Fun Park and Pony Centre, St Columb, on September 14.

Ramsay Quaife, for the prosecution, said Ms Harris was with her boyfriend Neil Bolton.

Mr Quaife said: "The defendant arrived there. He stormed straight up to Neil Bolton and he started to throw punches."

Bown, of Tregundy Road, hit Mr Bolton in the head and stomach, leaving him with a cut to his face.

Mr Quaife said by the time the police arrived Bown had scarpered.

He said: "On September 15, this defendant sent a message on Facebook to Mr Bolton apologising for his actions.

"On September 17, he telephoned Mr Bolton and had a conversation for about ten minutes along the lines of trying to get Mr Bolton to drop the charges."

Two days later Bown phoned again and threatened to kill Mr Bolton if he did not drop the charges.

Mr Quaife said the offence meant Bown had breached a suspended sentence order imposed on him in January for possession of cannabis with intent to supply it to another.

Jeremy Leaning, for the defence, said Bown had successfully completed most of the unpaid work he had been assigned at that time and had enrolled on a course to become an electrician.

Judge Christopher Harvey Clark, QC, said Bown had come perilously close to going to jail.

He said: "You lost your temper. You behaved in a totally unacceptable way. Just bear in mind what was happening at the time. It was a children's birthday.

"The example you set is completely inexcusable."

Bown was sentenced to four months in prison suspended for 12 months and ordered to carry out 50 hours unpaid work and be subject to a 9pm to 7am curfew for two months.

He was ordered to carry out a further ten hours' unpaid work for breaching his suspended sentence.