Login Register

Family "lucky to be alive" after fire tore through St Day Inn pub

By WBJLock  |  Posted: February 24, 2014

  • The roof of the St Day Inn has been left with a gaping hole following the fire.

Comments (1)

A FAMILY is lucky to be alive after a massive fire tore through a pub in St Day.

Eye witnesses have described the moment the St Day Inn on Fore Street in the village erupted into flames at around 1.30am this morning.

The roof at the back of the pub has been left with a gaping hole following the “devastating” blaze and the damage inside is said to be substantial.

A loud “popping and exploding” sound was heard similar to fire works being set off and detonated.

Landlord Mike Cox, his wife Donna and their children were not hurt during the fire.

The family live above the St Day Inn.

Mr Cox has described how he heard his sleeping wife coughing which first alerted him that there could be a problem.

Heather Kilburn, a cleaner at the pub, who lives in a house behind it, said the flames were terrifyingly huge: “I woke up and came downstairs because I heard a loud popping sound outside like fireworks.

“But when I got down there I couldn’t see anything, the amount of smoke in there. I didn’t have a clue what was going on.

“Then I looked outside and saw the pub on fire. The flames were terrifyingly huge. I called the fire brigade and they said they were on their way. By that time most of the village had gathered outside.

“It’s a miracle no one was hurt.”

Ms Kilburn said brave firefighters entered the burning pub to rescue Oscar, the 18-year-old pet cat.

When Oscar was brought outside he was not breathing. But firefighters used an oxygen mask to revive him. Oscar is now doing well and is staying with Ms Kilburn.

Gavin Jones, who lives opposite the pub said: “I was woken up by my dog barking. I looked out the window and saw the fire.

“It is the heart of the village. But what is amazing is people from all over the community have pulled together to offer their help to Mike and his family. It’s lucky no one has been hurt.”

More than 30 firefighters from Camborne, Redruth, Falmouth and Truro were called to tackle the fire at around 1.30am this morning.

The fire was dealt with by 4.00am.

Andy Barrett from the fire investigation unit said it was too early to tell what has caused the fire and investigations were on going.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • alexjonescox  |  September 25 2015, 10:40PM

    im alex the son i would like to say thanks to the village after a year and a half