Login Register

Families mourn two who died in Penryn collision

By West Briton  |  Posted: July 12, 2013

  • Emergency services at the scene of the crash.

Comments (0)

TRIBUTES have been paid to the two victims of a car crash in Penryn.

Bridget Toy, 61, of Penryn, and former president of the Royal Cornwall Show and Deputy Lieutenant of Cornwall Jeremy Tetley, of Grampound, were killed last Wednesday.

Mrs Toy's 65-year-old husband Nigel, who was also a passenger, received minor injuries and was released from hospital the following day.

Mr Tetley, 82, a retired Royal Navy Lieutenant-Commander, was the driver of a silver BMW estate which collided with a Fiat Ducato truck driven by a 22-year-old from Penzance, who was treated at the scene.

In a statement, Mr Tetley's family said: "He will be greatly missed by his wife, Mor, three children, ten grandchildren and many family members and friends."

Known as Jem, he served as a Fleet Air Arm pilot and batsman on aircraft carriers in Europe, the Middle and Far East and as a training officer at RNAS Culdrose at Helston.

"He retired from the Fleet Air Arm in 1964, and since then has been involved in agriculture on his own farm near Truro, as an active member of the RCS committee, being show president during the foot-and-mouth crisis of 2001," the family said.

He was appointed High Sheriff of Cornwall in 1976 and Deputy Lieutenant in 1977.

He was also on the RNLI management committee and became a life vice-president.

"He was a great classic car, plane, steam locomotive and boat enthusiast," the family said. "A keen sailor, Jeremy raced his Swan 36, Carte Blanche, locally, in the Solent, to the Azores and across the Atlantic."

Mr Toy said his wife was "the love of my life, tragically taken. She had so much to live for.

"She did have lots of things she wanted to do this year and she's not been able to carry them out now."

Police, firefighters, paramedics and an air ambulance were called to the junction of the B3292 and Browns Hill at about 12.50pm. The road was closed for six hours.

Sergeant Phillip Grigg said the accident had been traumatic for personnel involved.

He added: "We want to establish the facts of what happened in order to provide the families with the truth for their peace of mind."

Early indications showed Mr Tetley had been pulling out of the junction to turn right towards Falmouth and the truck had been travelling from the Falmouth direction.

"We have had a good response to the appeal for witnesses and we are fortunate to have plenty of people to give their account," said Sergeant Grigg.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters