Login Register

Falmouth end season in style as Carey stays put

By West Briton  |  Posted: May 17, 2012

Comments (0)

Bovey Tracey 0,

Falmouth Town 8

WHILE uncertainty surrounds the future of Falmouth Town, Alan Carey's men let their feet do the talking as they ended their season in emphatic fashion on Saturday.

And as a result of this win, their best ever victory in the South West Peninsula League, they secured a third place finish – their highest placing since the league was formed in 2007.

The club have confirmed that Carey will be staying at Bickland Park, despite the owners of the club, Falmouth Town AFC Ltd, stepping in last week in order they said to keep the club from going out of business because of financial over spending.

And Carey will have been delighted with his side's stylish end of season performance. Matt Drummond had a field day, scoring five goals, including a six minute hat-trick and has ended the season with 35 goals, just one behind Falmouth's top goal scorer this season, Mark Vercesi, whose total of 36 includes 15 penalties, a record for a Town player.

Falmouth got off to a flying start with Dan Green firing them ahead from close in following a pass from Jamie Mudge after just two minutes.

Falmouth doubled their lead after 25 minutes when Mudge ran past his marker and hit a stinging shot from 15 yards which Bovey keeper Tom Brooks, who was formerly with Truro City, could only push away and Mudge followed up to hammer the ball home.

Falmouth went 3-0 up after 28 minutes. This time Green weaved his way past two defenders in a crowded penalty area and played a short pass to Drummond for the striker to shoot home from six yards.

Falmouth got their fourth goal after 54 minutes when Vercesi took the ball past the home defence, following a good ball from Green and laid it into Drummond's path and he slotted it home from eight yards.

Falmouth's fifth goal came after 70 minutes when Vercesi scored a penalty after a foul on Mudge in the box. Drummond claimed his hat-trick after 86 minutes and it was soon 7-0 as the striker tapped home from two yards. Falmouth's eighth goal and Drummond's fifth, came two minutes into stoppage time.

Falmouth: B Manley, S Winnan, J Devine, C Menhenick, D Magee (J Green), R Pope (J Skinner), W Quinn, D Green, J Mudge, M Drummond, M Vercesi.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters