Login Register

Falmouth & Penryn Grassroots Sport Jan 23

By West Briton  |  Posted: January 23, 2014

  • Penryn Netball Club have been awarded two grants they had applied for. Penryn Town Council have kindly granted the club £300 to increase and update their first aid equipment, plus to provide a cold therapy system for on-court aid, and have been awarded £150 from the Cornwall Councillors fund, with the help of Penryn Councillors Mary May and Tony Martin, for the development of players mainly to help and improve the players taking part in the Regional League. Some of the club members are pictured with the new equipment.

Comments (0)



Falmouth 65, Veor 0

Falmouth showed the Tribute Cornwall & Devon League's whipping boys no mercy as they ran in 11 tries to bounce back from last week's disastrous 41-11 defeat at Hayle.

And with fly-half Justyn Irons converting all but one of the tries Falmouth cruised to their biggest league win of the campaign ahead of this Saturday's visit to Newquay Hornets.

The game as a meaningful contest was all over by the interval in miserable conditions at the Recreation Ground.

Josh Symons opened the scoring with a try and further touchdowns followed from A Geach, Simon Bailey, Simons again and Alex Kindjarsky.

It was a similar story after the interval as Falmouth dominated te luckless visitors who they beat 62-17 at Wheal Gerry earlier in the season.

Symons completed his hat-trick of tries with Irons, Sam Burke, Bailey and Spiller also crossing against an outclassed Veor wide.



With the 2014 cricket season on the horizon and indoor cricket nets about to start, one village cricket team is about to embark on a new beginning.

Perran-ar-Worthal Cricket Club has one of the most idyllic village cricket grounds in the County.

Up until last season the club played a high level of county cricket.

However, after the first team's poor performance in 2013, which resulted in them getting relegated from County One, they have decided to start this season in a lower division and with a new captain.

The first team will play in Division 3 West and are looking to build their squad up to have an enjoyable and successful season both on and off the field of play.

The club have appointed last year's 2nd team captain Brian Fisher to skipper the 1st XI and he is looking to attract new players to the club to add to the existing players from last year.

Fisher said: "We decided, at the end of last season, that we needed a year or two to rebuild the first team on the field.

"We would like to attract a few new players who want to play cricket at this beautiful village cricket ground with a friendly and fun group of people."

Perran-ar-Worthal CC will field three teams this coming season in Division 3, 5 and 7 West.

If you are interested in playing cricket for the club, training takes place at the Sir Ben Ainslie Sports Centre indoor nets at Truro School, every Monday 6pm-8pm starting February 3, where Fisher said he and his fellow players would provide a warm welcome.

If you would like any further information please contact vice-chairman Ben Conroy on 07985 581581 or benconroy@conroys.gb.com

Youth rugby


Redruth U11s 0, Falmouth U11s 21

With the Redruth pitch waterlogged, the match was rearranged to be played at Illogan Park.

Falmouth kicked off the game, and were quickly put under severe pressure from the strong Redruth pack. Wave after wave of attacks at the Falmouth try line, but with great tackling from Zac Hudson, Brent Anderson and Lucas Alegria, Redruth were prevented from scoring the opening try. Newcomer Lucas Alegria for his all round game was later presented with Man of the Match.

From a Redruth knock on Falmouth pack and back line started to function, Aiden Carter playing at scrum half moved the ball quickly to William Becconsall who made a half break, then off-loaded the ball to Milo Hallam hitting the ball at pace to score Falmouth's opening try.

Falmouth were now into the groove moving the ball wide and trying to play an expansive game, starting to put Redruth under pressure.

Falmouth passed the ball along their back line showing some great handling and winger Lucas made a strong run to be bundled into touch just short of the try line. From the resulting line out Jack King took the ball from the Redruth throw in and with great support from his pack Josh Collins and Thomas Trebilock he was driven over the line to score Falmouth's second try.

The second half was a much more even affair with both sides showing great defensive play and it wasn't until the last five minutes of the game that Falmouth had an attacking scrum which resulted in a penalty being awarded to Falmouth and with the quick thinking of scrum half William Becconsall he tapped the ball and sniped his way into the corner to score Falmouth third and final try.

A great all round performance from all of the Falmouth squad, they are becoming a very entertaining side to watch.

St Agnes U9s 50, Penryn U9s 65

It was a small pitch available for this match but all things considered, at least we played. Penryn were able to get an early lead which they managed to maintain throughout and take to the final whistle.

The narrow pitch restricted those who would normally bask in the open space, but it also brought in to the game those who thrive in the close contact aspect of rugby.

For Penryn it was a win-win as the runners found what little space they could and the others were very much more in evidence, in both attack and defence.

With such a large squad it is impossible to credit everyone with their contribution to the team, but worthy of a mention are our newest recruits Noah, Ira and Hugo whose confidence playing is clearly growing now that their settling in period is over, Toby who is a bit of a dark horse and gets through a lot more work than most would give him credit.

It was a satisfying performance for Penryn who return to the Borough with a warm feeling, not because of a victory, but one of a performance that was worthy of a victory.

The match was played in good spirits and was full of well channelled aggression making at times for a match full of contact, and kids getting covered in mud – and they loved it.

Penryn: Kian, Billy, Cadan, Owen, Matthew, Dalton, Toby, George, Joe, Jack, Luke, Sullivan, Harley, Hugo, Noah, Harry, Daniel, Charlie, Ira.

Scorers: Kian (4), Billy (3), Owen (2), George (2), Harry, Charlie.

Redruth U12s v Falmouth U12s:

With waterlogged pitches at Redruth. the fixture was moved to Illogan Park, much to the relief of the players who just wanted to get out on the field and play rugby.

After a close encounter in the same fixture last December this was bound to be a tight affair but conditions were vastly better than for that match.

Falmouth kicked off proceedings and Redruth immediately made their intentions clear by running the ball back with interest. Good recycling and momentum took them right onto the Falmouth try line but firm defence held them up and the visitors managed to relieve the pressure.

This was only temporary as the home side again took the direct route and after a period of sustained pressure pinned Falmouth back on their own line forcing a defensive scrum five metres out.

The heavier home pack put the squeeze on and won the turnover and deservedly opened the scoring. From the restart the pressure returned onto the visitors and again they found themselves having to defend deep inside their own half.

From a tap penalty five metres out the home side bulldozed their way through some courageous tacklers to double their lead. However, the home side had more than one dimension to their play and were equally as happy to spread the ball along the line and attack out wide when the opportunity presented itself.

Perhaps they realised that this was less effective as Falmouth were able to manage this area of play better and so it was no surprise when Redruth again kept the ball tight and drove up the middle of the park to score their third try on the stroke of half-time.

With nothing to show for their efforts at the break Falmouth came out for the second half with a bit more gusto and matched up to their counterparts in a more even contest.

While they still came off second best in most of the forward battles they did achieve more parity in the open play and put some phases of rugby together.

The home side, however, knew where their strength lied and continued with the direct lines of attack using their powerful pack to make ground. To the credit of the visitors the score line could have been much worse but for their heroic defensive effort.

Redruth only managed to add one more try in this second period, a sign of dogged Falmouth teamwork, but ultimately ran out deserved winners in a fantastic game of rugby enjoyed by all of the home and visiting supporters alike.

St Agnes U10s v Penryn U10s:

Penryn made the short trip to the very sunny north coast to take on St Agnes in what turned out to be a closely contested match.

Slowly but surely Penryn have been making steady progress over the course of the season, with several new faces appearing throughout, with this week being no exception as Aaron Williams made his debut, along side the other recent new players Liam Creedon, and Ciaran Young.

With the game split into three sessions, the two teams played out a fiercely fought first 15 minutes in which St Agnes took a commanding -0 lead only for the visitors to rally strongly, led by Thomas Freeman and Solomon Littlejohn who excelled in the physical contact areas both in attack and defence and with Alex Goff powering over for a well taken try with several defenders hanging off him, the session ended with the home side's noses in front at 6-5.

Unfortunately for Penryn, the changes made in the second session saw some of the less experienced players take to the field, whereas St Agnes were fielding at least two Under 11 players who made a significant difference to the match. Although Freeman and Littlejohn both crossed the line again, St Agnes physical superiority paid off as they closed out the session with a 12-8 lead.

With a further ten minutes to play, Penryn juggled their players again and were rewarded with further tries for Freeman and Littlejohn, one of which involved what is fast becoming their trade mark switch move and Benji Roberts who battled over for two tries of his own.

Other performances of note included some swashbuckling runs from Jori Bennett who was unlucky not to score and Ethan Weaver who put in some great defensive work.

Despite the try count going against the Penryn 18-12, this young group of players can take great comfort in the fact that the real difference between the two sides were St Agnes' over age players.

Match day squad (try scorers): Matt Badger, Jori Bennett, Liam Creedon, Thomas Freeman (3), Piran Glasby, Alex Goff, Solomon Littlejohn (6), Jack Martin, Benji Roberts (2), Ethan Weaver , Aaron Williams, Ciaran Young.



Falmouth Sports Club's first team which is made up mainly of juniors, have just been promoted to Division One of the Cornwall League.

The team are sponsored by Plumbase, whose Simon Curtis is a club member and is the manager of Plumbase, Redruth. Simon is himself a racketball and squash player and is very supportive of the teams and the club.

Chair Cliffy Banfield said: "I am very proud of our first team, as we have not managed to have a team in the first division for a few years.

"The boys are very committed and motivate the other teams to train hard and play hard.

"Ben MacDonald (captain) is currently the club's Number 1 in both racketball and squash (juniors and senior) division. Cameron Briggs has been chosen for South West regional squad.

"The club has also been registered as a Community Amateur Sports Club. A massive achievement with positive implications for the future.

"The new management of the gym and fitness studio by New Era is just another of the many positive changes going on at FSC."



Into the third week of the year and the rain still has not allowed the ladies to play a competition at Budock Vean.

On Sunday morning the course was closed because it was still saturated and, in places, frozen. By 12.30 it was open but with four temporary greens the Men just played a three man event with two scores to count.

This was won by Mike O'Hara, David Tippett and Brian Hoskins with 86 points.

The Seniors' (The Beavers) were able to start at 9.30am for their first competition of the year. However, as there were four temporary greens and all bunkers were unusable, they cancelled the planned Stableford qualifier to play the fourth Winter League (WL) event.

The Beavers' WL is played in pairs both taking their best ball score forward in the competition. Members will only play together once during the WL competition. Despite how wet the course was, other than the temporary greens, the course played quite well and there were some reasonable scores. Geoff Mills/Charlie Averiss were first (43pts), with three pairs with 41, Roger Mildren/ Colin Bowden, Tony Grace/Keith Eccleston and Malcolm Hooper/John Craig.

Geoff and Charlie were behind the other three pairs after 15 holes but then had two birdies and a par to finish their round.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters