Login Register

Falmouth & Penryn Grassroots Sport December 12

By West Briton  |  Posted: December 12, 2013

  • GOLF: Lucien Trathen, club captain of Falmouth Golf Club, with winners of the Christmas Draw Scramble team, Paul Collins, Mark Butland and Dave Walsh. P. Wilkening was unavailable for the picture.

  • GOLF: Budock Vean's David Tippett, who came first in the club's Turkey Trot.

  • YOUTH RUGBY: Falmouth U12s pictured after their 40-7 win over Helston at the weekend.

Comments (0)


Camborne Res 17 Lanner 28

Camborne's scratch team containing a number of 3rd XV and Veterans players put up stout resistance before going down to defeat in an entertaining encounter with Cornwall's newest club at the Recreation Ground.

For the home side fly half Adrian Downing scored a brace of tries whilst full back Jamie Flood also touched down. No.8 Martin Goldsworthy added the solitary conversion.



There was heavy frost in Southern California last week end but certainly no sign of it at Falmouth Golf Course on Saturday as the Gents and Ladies turned out in force for the Christmas Draw Scramble with every tee booked plus a good few doubled up by the four person teams.

Brian Craig, Andy Kemp, Rik Shaw and Wendy Plummer combined well to card a seven under par 65 for a net 58-1 but could only manage fifth spot on a day of great scoring.

Tony Drew. Brian Shovlin. Gill Norris and Andrew Bonnett carded a brilliant gross 63 score of nine under par gross for a net 56 and rightly thought they would be in with a good shout of at least finishing in the top three places but alas they finished fourth.

Ben Browning, Bob Aggus and Rose Bailey in the company of the club president Terry Dickinson were letting everyone know they were doing okay out on the course but their superb gross of 10 under par 62 for a net 55-4 proved only good enough for third place.

Charlie Scorse, Scott Pedlar, Angus McArthur and Roger Dunstan returned a brilliant 11 under par gross 61 for what must have felt like an untouchable net 54-3 with the winning speech all agreed upon, until news came through that Paul Collins, Dave Walsh, Mark Butland and Peter Wilkening had returned a staggering 16 under par gross 56 net 50-9 to win by a surprisingly comfortable margin.

For the record they had birdies on holes one through to seven inclusive, then they slipped up with a par at the eighth.

Then it was all birdies again from nine to 11 inclusive.

The 12th then yielded an eagle two before another breather at the 13th where they had a par before gathering themselves again by playing the last five holes in four under par. A stunning performance and a thoroughly deserved first prize.

This Saturday is the eagerly anticipated two clubs and a putter Turkey Trot with a 9-30am start followed by the legendary Cut & Carve & Carols.

The following Wednesday is the Monthly Medal sponsored by Kelsall Steele Investment Services. A boutique provider of professional, informed and impartial financial advice.


The Ladies at Falmouth Golf Club have been revelling in the milder weather for a change and the participants have been out in force for the recent competitions.

The Californian Rolling Scramble saw Kathy Wells, Wendy Plummer and Maureen Willey (756 – Wendy, Lady Capt Sue Short and Maureen, Kath missing) romp home in first place with Brenda Arch, Barbara Brown and Donna Craig close behind in second place.

The Winter League was won by Jeanne White, Theresa Brierley with 30 points. (759 – Jeanne, Sue and Theresa). In second place was Margaret Wallis and Rachel Curnow with 29 points, followed closely on 28 points were Carol Mitchum and Jenny Storey.

The Christmas competitions got under way with the Chicken Competition.

There was a great field, lots of raffle prizes, money being raised for the Lady Captain's Charity and a beautiful Christmas prize table.

The overall winner was Rebecca Beer (761 Sue and Rebecca) with 34 points, followed by Carol Mitchum with 33 points.

In third place was Mo Hammond with 31 points who pipped Gill Norris, Sally Ingle and Wendy Plummer, all with the same score.


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas as Budock Vean held its annual Turkey Trot on Sunday, although the weather was decidedly unseasonal with warm sunshine and no wind, perfect conditions for good scoring.

Not everybody was able to take advantage, but one man who will not be going hungry this Christmas is winner David Tippett who scored 41 Stableford Points to take first prize of £30 of meat vouchers from a local butcher.

David's round was built on a superb front nine of 22 points backed up with a very steady back nine with no blobs.

In second place, two points behind, was the evergreen Bob Hartnell who just beat Stephen Penrose into third place on countback.

Both players can look forward to Christmas as they received £25 and £20 of meat vouchers respectively.

There were only two back nine twos with the bounty shared between Rob Gibson for his two at the 11th and Rod Butler who got his two at the 18th.

Sunday marked the final competition of Richard Whatmore's captaincy as he passes the reigns over to Vice Captain Paul Upperton at the annual meeting on Monday. Richard has enjoyed a very successful year at Budock Vean, and will continue as Handicap Secretary.

On Wednesday the Ladies held their Bring and Win Stableford which was well supported and keenly contested.

A wonderful last eight holes saw Lesley Upperton edge out Tricia Blatter on countback, both players scoring 35 Stableford Points.

This was the perfect end to Lesley's Captaincy of the Ladies section as she hands over to Vice Captain Jenny Wake at the annual meeting.

U12s Rugby


Last year's visit to Helston ended in disappointment as Falmouth succumbed to a better prepared and more dogged home side.

This time around Falmouth were determined to reverse their fortunes and show what we all know they are capable of.

The game kicked off and the early exchanges were evenly matched with neither side able to impose any superiority on the game as possession changed hands quickly.

It took a feisty intervention by Finbar O'Connail to wrestle the ball away from the home side and set off down field on one of his mazy runs to open the scoring, duly converted by Ollie Reed.

This changed the momentum of the game as Falmouth quickly regained possession and kept the home side pinned back in their own half.

Recycled ball was quickly moved out to Sam Ahearne, playing at centre, who circled around the defence and straight down the narrow side evading several would-be tacklers to touch down in the corner.

The home side was shocked into action and from the restart managed to push Falmouth deep into their own half and infringe at a ruck as they looked to keep possession.

Helston took a quick penalty and caught the visitors napping as they barged their way over the line for their opening try of the game.

This proved to be one of their rare visits to the try line as Falmouth regrouped quickly with Finbar coming into the attacking line from full-back to snake his way in for his second try and extend Falmouth's lead.

With half-time approaching Falmouth once again made camp in the Helston 22 and this time the home side infringed and a quick penalty saw Falmouth move the ball wide for Joey, in his first game, to squeeze through the defence and score in the corner to leave the score 26-7 at half-time.

Playing a full pitch meant plenty of space out wide but also made for tired legs and the break was a welcome sight for most of the players.

Refreshed, the initial phases of the second period were a cagey affair with Helston edging the set piece but Falmouth being quicker and more influential at the breakdown.

Slowly Falmouth began to take control and dominate possession and a powerful run by Isaac Wagland put Falmouth near the try line, possession was quickly recycled allowing Jacob Allies to pop up and drive over the line further extending the lead.

Fatigue was beginning to show on both sides and mistakes crept into the play but with Falmouth maintaining the upper hand in the contest Will Dell found himself in some space and ran a direct line, shrugging off several tackles, to score under the posts.

The game came to an end to leave the final score 40-7 in favour of Falmouth but both sets of players acknowledged each other's contribution in a great game of rugby.

U11s Rugby


Falmouth were away at Helston and with 12 players absent they were expecting a tough encounter with their local rivals.

Helston kicked off and within the first 60 seconds Will Becconsall received the ball and side stepping seven Helston players he scored and converted the opening points.

After much encouragement from the coaches to start passing the ball and setting up rucks and mauls Falmouth realised that they had to start playing as a team.

With great interlinking passing between Hugo Polglase, Matthew McDonald and Sam Norton the final pass was made to Lucas for Falmouth to score their second try and conversion by Jack King.

Aidan Carter, starting his first game at scrum half, quickly adapted to his new position and kept the tempo of the game fast which led to him scoring his first try.

This was quickly followed by him scoring his second try after securing a loose ball from the back of the scrum.

At half-time Helston were reduced to ten players so to keep the game competitive Falmouth lent them players throughout the second half.

A big thank you to Ali, Sennen, Lucas, Zac, Sam and Will for showing good sportsmanship. With the help from these players Helston came back into the game and managed to win the second half 7-5.

This week Falmouth have Redruth at home before the Christmas break.

U10s Rugby


Penryn went into the match with a much depleted and inexperienced match day squad of ten owing to injuries; family commitments and sickness.

St Austell on the other hand were able to field a very strong group of fourteen players.

Although they conceded the first try Penryn surprisingly dominated the first ten minute session with tries from Thomas Freeman and Solomon Littlejohn.

However, that did not stop St Austell hitting back following a defensive lapse from the home side, but Penryn reasserted their advantage from the restart with a try for Jori Bennett.

With so many inexperienced players in the side and with very little time to rest, it was inevitable that the greater numbers and experience of St Austell would tell, and so it turned out in the next session.

St Austell made six changes and with two exceptional runners taking to the field, Penryn's defensive capabilities were tested to the full.

Penryn initially weathered the storm with some great tackling led by Jori Bennett but St Austell's stronger runners breached the home side's defence a couple of times to take the lead for the first time which they were not to lose again.

Ethan Weaver managed to cross the line for his first try of the season before the end of the session, but St Austell also managed to score another couple of tries.

With the third session under way, it was obvious from the looks on the Penryn players' faces that the lack of players in the squad had taken its toll.

Those on the pitch never gave up trying, none more so than Thomas Freeman who managed to score his second try of the match and continued tackling throughout the session chasing back with endless energy, but with the visitors greater numbers providing an apparent endless supply of fresh legs St Austell were not to be denied and ran out eventual winners 10-5.

Penryn (try scorers in brackets): Matt Badger, Jori Bennett (1), Flynn Congdon, Liam Creedon, Thomas Freeman (2), Piran Glasby, Solomon Littlejohn (1), Jack Martin, Benji Roberts, Ethan Weaver (1).

U9s Rugby


For some of these children they are already into their fourth season yet this is the first time that they have crossed paths with visitors St Austell.

The match was played in good spirits by both teams, and all too infrequently we encounter parents such as these, where all supporters applauded all good play.

Early rain soon cleared making for near perfect playing conditions as the players took to the Borough's main field which provided an excellent surface under foot.

Penryn showed early intent from the off and quickly took the lead which was steadily reinforced as the game progressed.

The first session of the game proved to be Penryn's most dominant period and by the end things were not looking good for the first visit of this St Austell team.

The second period basically went very much the same way as the first, but a stronger finish for St Austell helped them pull things back a little.

During this period there was a first for one Penryn player and we congratulate a relative newcomer in Noah for scoring his first try and a good effort; he broke free from a tackle and ran half the length of the pitch to outpace the cover.

Penryn by now were looking worthy winners but with still more time St Austell were beginning their strongest period.

Throughout the match the visitors played a tidy game but were just not able to contain Penryn and credit must be given to the way St Austell never gave up and they were well rewarded by being an equal to the home team as the clocked ticked toward the final whistle.

Penryn: Kian, Billy, Cadan, Owen, Matthew, Dalton, Toby, George, Joe, Jack, Luke, Sullivan, Harley, Hugo, Noah.

Scorers: George (7), Billy (5), Harley (3), Kian (3), Noah, Luke.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters