Login Register
 °

Falmouth Remembrance parade will go ahead despite RBL dispute

By West Briton  |  Posted: November 01, 2012

  • Falmouth Memorial Garden. Pic by Paul Richards Ref: TRTW20121027A-008_C

  • The new look Falmouth Memorial Garden. Pic by Paul Richards Ref: TRTW20121027A-009_C

  • Mayor Geoffrey Evans places the first poppy at the poppy-laying ceremony at Falmouth Memorial Garden.

Comments (0)

FALMOUTH Town Council has stepped in and arranged this year's Remembrance Sunday parade following fears that there would be no local commemoration.

Mayor Geoffrey Evans called on the town council to organise the parade after members of Falmouth's Royal British Legion (RBL) branch resigned.

Mr Evans, who on Saturday laid the first poppy at the town's newly designed Memorial Garden, said: "If we hadn't stepped in the parade would not have taken place.

"I thought we should take it on as it is one of the most important events of the year. It has been difficult bringing all of the relevant parties together and keeping everyone happy."

Last year Falmouth's RBL branch resigned in a dispute with the national organisation.

The RBL club on Arwenack Street, is not associated with the legion itself, which claimed it was "illegally occupying", although this is a separate issue that is being looked at by solicitors.

The RBL Falmouth branch has 300 members who are currently under the county administration.

The county RBL said: "Falmouth wasn't in a position to assist with the parade but we do have a local RBL member helping.

"RBL nationally has no responsibility to run Remembrance Sunday parades but it is something that we normally do. It is local councils who organise them and in this case it has fallen back onto their shoulders."

Falmouth Town Council clerk, Mark Williams, said the county's RBL had helped with its preparations along with Royal Naval Association and other war veteran organisations.

He said the parade would start promptly at 10.40am on November 11 at The Moor headed by the Kernow Pipe Band.

It would then make its way to Kimberley Park where a service and two-minute silence would take place at the war memorial.

As well as running the parade the council has also taken on the memorial gardens outside its council headquarters.

It replanted the garden, giving it a makeover at the request of local veterans who said it was "tatty and overgrown," added Mr Williams.

Cornwall Council granted it a licence for the area, costing £1 per year, to take over the plot which was redesigned by Simon Miles of FG Landscapes & Arboreal Services in time for Saturday's poppy ceremony.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES