Login Register

Eyewitness account of suspected arson fire at Western Greyhound depot in Liskeard

By cg_ailsam  |  Posted: January 24, 2014

  • Suspected arson attack on Western Greyhound depot in Liskeard

Comments (0)

A Liskeard resident alerted the emergency services after the bus depot next to her house caught fire in a suspected arson attack in the early hours of Friday, January 24.

Kerina Tovey a mother-of-two, of Hooper Court rang 999 after seeing the blaze at the Trevecca industrial estate.

Two fire crews from Liskeard and one from Callington attended the fire that started at 4.50am and three Western Greyhound buses were found alight.

Ms Tovey, who has only lived at the property for about a month, said: “I was woken up at about 5am and there was a massive glow behind the bedroom window.

Related content

“I saw three buses on fire and I called the fire brigade.

“The emergency services arrived and got it under control but it caught alight again, perhaps because of the oil.

“I put things at the front door ready to go like shoes and coats because it looked very close to the house.

“It was very bright and intense and spread really quickly- it’s amazing how it went from worrying to really worrying very quickly.

“It could have been a lot worse if the fire brigade didn’t come.”

Fire fighters were wearing breathing gear and used a hose and one jet to extinguish the fire.

The cause of the fire is thought to be arson and the incident has been handed over to Devon and Cornwall Police.

A spokesman for the police said: “We are investigating and working with fire investigators to establish the cause.”

The blaze led to the cancellation of Western Greyhound between Polperro and Plymouth and Polperro and Callington.

Routes betwee Newquay and Plymouth were also affected.

School bus services to Looe Community Academy and Liskeard School and Community College were also cancelled.

It is the second time in recent months the Western Greyhound buses have been targeted in a suspected arson attack.

At 1am on May 13, 2013 their Summercourt bus depot was set ablaze, which saw 35 buses wiped out including £1.5 million worth of equipment and vehicles.

Three men were arrested on suspicion of arson on July 2013 and they have been released on bail until February 18, 2014.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters