Login Register
 °

Dog warning: Palm oil found on Perranporth beach.

By WBEsme  |  Posted: January 29, 2014

Generic dog on beach
Comments (0)

A Perranporth vet is warning dog owners to remain “vigilant” after palm oil has starting to wash up on north coast beaches

Chris Gardner from St Clements veterinary practice in Perranzabuloe is asking dog owners to make sure their dogs avoid the toxic waxy substance while walking on Perranporth and north coast beaches.

The vet has reported seeing three confirmed cases of dog sickness due to palm oil in the past week and dozens more since December.

Palm oil, which started to appear on beaches in Praa Sands, Long Rock, Penzance and Porthcurno last year, is thought to have caused the death of one dog and the sickness of several more.

The substance is not toxic for humans, but causes stomach problems for dogs once ingested.

Mr Gardner said: “The palm oil first appeared around October time last year. We didn’t have any incidents around then, but it started to appear in dogs on the North Coast around December time.

“It’s clearly still a risk on the North Coast and people need to be vigilant.”

Dogs suspected of eating palm oil should be taken to their nearest vet.

Mr Gardner added: “They have good chance of full a recovery if seen quickly but chances are certainly not improved the longer you wait.”

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES