The Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service are warning residents to stay safe this Christmas.
The Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) are reminding residents that Christmas can be a potentially hazardous time of year.
Some of the festive traditions such as cooking Christmas dinner, decorating the home or enjoying a festive tipple could have the potential to leave celebrations in ruin.
The CFRS crew manager, Mark Pratten said: “December is always one of our busiest months for property fires - we attended 26 accidental property fires in December 2012.
“With all the distractions of preparing for the festive season, fire safety is often pushed to the back of our minds.
“There are also potential dangers from dry Christmas trees, flammable decorations and stray wrapping paper which can all act as extra fuel for a fire sparked by overloaded and overheated plug sockets, faulty fairy lights, unattended candles or carelessly discarded cigarettes.
“Christmas is a time for celebrating with family and friends, and we want to keep it that way.
“Follow our Christmas Fire Safety advice as by being aware of the risks and making a few simple checks you can ensure that you and your loved ones can celebrate in safety.”
The distractions of a crowded house can result in cooking being left unattended and the added influence of alcohol and slower reaction times means that it’s even more important to stay alert while preparing the Christmas dinner, according to the CFRS.
Some of the safety advice from CFRS is to ensure that the smoke alarm is working, check on elderly relatives as they are at higher risk and check that the fairy lights are switched off.
For more information or for a home fire safety assessment please call the 24 hour free phone Fire Safety Helpline on 0800 3581 999 or go to www.cornwall.gov.uk/fire or www.esc.org.uk