Login Register

Day-long police manhunt sparked by father's attack

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 19, 2013

ATTACK:  Jason Haberland.

ATTACK: Jason Haberland.

AN UPSET Redruth father attacked a sleeping friend before leading police on a day-long manhunt culminating in a car chase through St Blazey.

Jason Haberland, 25, of Bond Street, became distressed when he called his former girlfriend, Katie Wood, and found out she was with mutual friend Aled Periam.

He demanded to speak to Mr Periam, who hung up and later went home to Penwithick, near St Austell.

At Truro Crown Court on Friday, Philip Lee, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said that at about 5am Haberland barged into Mr Periam's bedroom.

Mr Lee said: "He swung a mug at Mr Periam, striking him in the head as he turned away." Mr Periam had to have five staples to a cut to the side of his head.

Police later trying to track Haberland down were led to an address where he had taken a Volkswagen Golf.

They also had reports of him making off without paying for fuel at a Plymouth garage and, that afternoon, received a warning that the car was heading towards St Austell.

At 2pm, Haberland arrived at Ms Wood's address, despite being banned from seeing or contacting her by a restraining order imposed in August.

Mr Lee said: "He was intoxicated.

"She was with a family friend and their little girl whom he kissed goodbye as he left."

Around this time, police caught up with Haberland, followed his car and set up a stinger to deflate his tyres.

Haberland avoided the stinger by turning onto the forecourt of a garage near St Blazey, accelerated hard towards a police car and swerved towards the exit where he struck another police vehicle.

He led officers on a chase at 60mph in a 30mph section of the A390, but was arrested when he turned sharply into the path of a pedestrian, mounted a kerb so his vehicle went on to two wheels and came to a stop.

Mr Lee said: "The roadside breath test was positive and later he declined to provide an evidential sample of breath during police station procedure.

"(In interview he said) he spoke to Ms Wood and became upset about the child.

"He started drinking and carried on drinking, effectively, until his arrest."

At an earlier hearing Haberland admitted charges of unlawful wounding, dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, failing to provide a specimen, acting in breach of a restraining order and making off without payment.

Mike Gregson, for he defence, said Haberland saw the error of his ways and hoped to get a job after being released from prison.

Haberland was sentenced to two years in prison and disqualified from driving for three years.