Login Register

Camborne turn on the style to beat Camels and move second

By West Briton  |  Posted: January 24, 2013

Comments (0)

Bill Hooper

Camborne 34 Wadebridge Camels 22

WITH all other games in Tribute South West 1 West postponed due to the nasty weather, Camborne took full advantage to comfortably beat the Camels and move up to second place in the league – three points ahead of Old Redcliffians – though they have played two games more.

Despite the bitterly cold conditions, Camborne put on a display of exhilarating back play to warm the faithful, with the three-quarters claiming all five tries.

Winger Luke Johnson enjoyed a fine game, scoring two tries and kicking three conversions and a penalty to take the man-of-the-match plaudits.


And Camborne assistant coach Liam Chapple was delighted with his side's performance.

He said: "We had a game plan that we wanted to play to today and we stuck to it and it paid off handsomely, hats off to the lads. The pitch is in great condition for the time of the year, made for running rugby and we certainly showed that today."

Chapple also paid tribute to the Camborne crowd who really got behind their side.

"It was a really good crowd here today who got right behind the boys, maybe we were boosted by a few more as some games in the area were postponed.

"With nine points from our last two games that puts us in a good position at the moment. We have still got many of the top sides to come to us and without sounding over confident there is no reason why with the way we are playing at present we can't beat them on our own patch."

For the Camels coach David Elston was magnanimous in defeat and conceded that on the day they may well have looked to play the wrong sort of game.

He said. "We made the mistake of having just forwards on the bench, thinking that Camborne would play a forward oriented game in the mud. On such a great playing surface they moved the ball wide very well and looked a much better balanced side from Camborne teams we have played in the past."

With flanker Ashley Lawton suspended by the club, following his red card at Chard last weekend, Martin Woolcock came into the Cherry and Whites back-row. Fly-half Dave Mankee (unwell) was also missing, so Richie Kevern slotted in at 10, with Laurie Manna at outside centre.

Camels kicked off playing towards the Clubhouse Corner, but Camborne were soon on the offensive with Johnson serving notice with an early run. It got better for the home side as the early score came thanks to a lovely break from scrum-half Dean Pascoe to score an unconverted try with just 90 seconds on the clock.

Camborne maintained the early pressure, however, Wadebridge's defence held firm. Slowly Wadebridge got a foothold on the game through their forwards. Fly-half Josh Taylor saw a penalty attempt rebound back into play from an upright.

Town swept play back downfield, and the ball was again moved wide, with Manna cutting a great angle to slice through the Camels defence to score midway between the posts and the Park Gate corner. Again the try went unconverted, but Camborne were well worth their 10-0 lead.


Camels hit back when from line out near the 22 metre line the ball was palmed back loosely by the home side, allowing Camels to capitalise with lock Dan Lumb powering over for a try approaching the half hour mark. Taylor added a fine conversion to make it 10-7.

That proved to as close as the Camels would get. Moments later while trying to move the ball wide, Camels were undone as Johnson intercepted on his own 10-metre line to race under the posts for a simple try that he also converted.

Another penalty miss from Taylor along with a catch-and-drive, which went horribly wrong, saw the further Wadebridge chances go begging.

Instead it was Camborne who finished the half the stronger with a fourth try following further fine handling with Manna and No8 Dave Roberts combining to put Johnson in for his second try. The young winger slotted the conversion to leave the Cherry and Whites 24-7 up at half-time.

An early penalty from Taylor gave the Camels brief hope at the start of the second half. However, Camborne were soon back on the front foot with Johnson going close to a third try as the Camels cover just denied him in goal.

Camborne continued to press, from a scrum down in the scoreboard 22 and Pascoe chipped over the top for winger Rob Floyd to gather and score in the corner. Johnson kicked a third conversion and then added a penalty moments later to make it 34-10 for Town.

Camborne were perhaps guilty of letting up towards the end allowing Wadebridge to score a couple of tries. Replacement hooker Miles Davey scored up in the top corner from a tap penalty, scrum-half Adam Collings then crossed for the Camels' third try, with centre James Grubb adding the conversion.

This Saturday Somerset side Cleve are the visitors.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters