A FAMILY from Camborne whose house collapsed into a disused mine earlier this month has thanked a double glazing company for saving their lives.
The Williams’ household in Tehidy collapsed after a huge crack appeared on the side of their home.
Mike Williams said if it was not for double glazing company, Dawes and Windows, he may have been inside at the time the house came down.
Dawes and Windows had made adjustments to the front door but had been called back three times by the Williams.
They then found that the door had subsided by 25mm, sparking concern that the house was subsiding.
Mr Williams said: “After fitting a beautiful door the level of aftercare was superb, they came back on numerous occasions with no fuss and ended up being the ones who discovered the house was in danger.
“They practically saved our lives as we beat the house collapse by two days.
“I can’t praise them enough and would never go anywhere else to get any work done.”
Phil Dawe, Director of Dawes and Windows said: “Mr & Mrs Williams contacted us as their door required some adjustment, which is very unusual for our company.
“We dutifully went out and made the necessary alterations and everyone was happy, but over the next five months we had to return three more times.
“It was when we revisited the installation in January this year that we realised something more sinister was causing the issues.”
A structural engineer was appointed by the insurance company who confirmed the house was subsiding and would require some remedial work.
A few days later the whole left side of the house collapsed, but luckily the family had been moved to a Premier Inn and were not in the property at the time.