Login Register

Camborne consolidate third place with gritty win

By West Briton  |  Posted: December 06, 2012

David Mankee who kicked six penalties at Sidmouth.

Comments (0)

Sidmouth 22

Camborne 23

CAMBORNE go into their final home South West One West match of 2012 against Paignton Saxons on Saturday well placed at third in the table after they showed their spirit and strength in depth as their much changed side recorded a narrow victory at Sidmouth.

The hastily arranged fixture after the ground had been waterlogged seven days previous went ahead with the visitors taking the spoils, courtesy of a fine all round team effort.

Fly half David Mankee kicked six penalties and Camborne's only try came from Joe Parma.

The Cherry & Whites welcomed back wing Aaron Hunt and centre Joe Parma from injury while young Luke Johnson made a solid debut at full back. In a further late change, skipper David Roberts withdrew with illness and Ashley Lawton moved to No8 as the industrious Jamie Moore filled the vacancy at lock.

After going behind to a brace of early home tries the Cherry & Whites ended the first quarter 10-3 in arrears as David Mankee landed a straightforward 30m penalty shot.

Fly half Mankee who enjoyed a splendid afternoon with the boot then cut the deficit to a single point as the home side twice infringed in kicking range.

As the interval neared Hunt and hardworking scrum half Jason Jackson were both twice involved in a sustained period of attacking that ended with Parma wriggling over for an unconverted try that left the Camborne 14-10 up at the break.

A well judged angled penalty by Mankee early in the second half increased Town's advantage, but Sidmouth soon responded with two penalties to cut Camborne's lead to a single point.

With all to play for the Cherry & Whites upped their game playing with huge commitment in attack and defence, with replacement forwards Kye Beasley and Martin Goldsworthy getting through a lot of good work. A long range penalty from Mankee eased his team further clear but back came the home side to snatch a 22-20 lead well inside the final quarter.

Well lead by skipper John Griffiths, the visiting pack won a penalty opportunity which Mankee duly booted from 40 metres for his sixth success of the afternoon to make the score 23-22 and in the final minutes Camborne comfortably held on to close out a superb victory.

Camborne: Luke Johnson, Aaron Hunt, Joe Parma, Richard Kevern, Rob Floyd, David Mankee, Jason Jackson, Nigel Endean, Malcolm Hearn, Will Webster, John Griffiths (capt), Jamie Moore, James Goldsworthy, Cameron Bone, Ashley Lawton. Reps: Kye Beasley, Martin Goldsworthy.

Scorers: try Parma; pens: Mankee (6).

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters