Login Register

Camborne, Redruth & Hayle Grassroots Sport September 26

By West Briton  |  Posted: September 26, 2013

  • GOLF: Winners at Tehidy Park's finals day on Saturday. From left: Jane Hollis, David Goldsworthy, Nigel Hosking, Mark Hollis, David O'Mahony, Graham Sandercock (club captain), Louise Eslick, Colin Martin, David Hughes, David Ryder and Stuart Holt.

Comments (0)

Hayle 11 Crediton 20

Crediton fly half Mark Lee's late penalty robbed Hayle of even a bonus point in a Tribute Cornwall & Devon League game that they could, and should have won.

Hayle have only themselves to blame for this result, poor execution, and not taking easy penalty chances cost them in the end. Crediton will be pleased with their afternoon's work, they absorbed long periods of pressure in the second half and took full advantage of the few chances they had.

It was Crediton that started the game the stronger, dominating possession and territory from the kick-off and they opened the scoring on 16 minutes with a Mark Lee penalty.

Hayle got back into the game and began to dominate, their reward was a Martin Strick penalty on 25 minutes to level the score at 3-3.

The remainder of the first half was evenly contested, the only clear cut scoring chances were a missed penalty from each side.

Overall the half time score of 3-3 was a fair reflection of the first half.

Crediton started the second half as they had started the first.

On 43 minutess a 12 man driving maul put No 8 Mark Nott on the score sheet, Mark Lee converted from wide out to give Crediton a 3-10 lead.

Hayle began to pressure the Crediton line, on 55 mins Martin Strick kicked a penalty to reduce the Crediton lead to 4 points, only after Hayle had earlier refused two kickable penalties.

A Hayle infringement from the restart saw big booted Mark Lee pin Hayle into the corner. From the lineout another Crediton driving maul and another Mark Nott try, Mark Lee again converted from wide out. Creditonwere now comfortably ahead at 17-6 after 58 minutes

Hayle stepped up the pace again and camped in the Crediton 22 , only to be denied on several occasions by poor finishing, again turning down kickable penalties.

A Crediton yellow card on 70 minutes gave Hayle an advantage and they did break through in the end, when Rob Cutter went over on 75 mins after a good handling move. The conversion was missed, however, Hayle did have a losing bonus point at 17-11.

Hayle saw the bonus point slip away on 80 minutes when fly half Mark Lee kicked a penalty to seal the win.

The well organised Crediton defence won this game in the end, they soaked up a huge amount of pressure in the second half, even when Hayle produced an overlap they conjured a defender from somewhere.

For Hayle it was too many missed opportunities, and not taking kickable penalties let Crediton build a lead which they were unable to overhaul.

On the plus side, the team's commitment is huge and they never gave up chasing, they showed a willingness to run the ball. Scott Murray, Doug Arnull and Scott Harvey all looked dangerous with ball in hand.

Hayle: Adam Strick, Danny Clackworthy, Bruce Pow, Tony Matthews, Richard Spear, Rob Goodman, Josh heath, Alex Thornton, Stefan Osborne, Martin Strick, Joe Chadwick, Scott Murray, Doug Arnull, Rob Cutter, Scott Harvey. Reps - Fred carter, Luke Richardson, Lewis Laity.

Scorers: Hayle. Try - Rob Cutter, Pens - Martin Strick (2). Crediton. Tries - Mark Nott (2), Conv - Mark Lee (2), Pens - Mark Lee (2).

After another disappointing result and a poor start to the season Hayle will be keen to make amends when they visit Falmouth this Saturday, with a 3pm kick off.

Youth Football

Trevenson Ospreys U10s 9 St Ives Foxes U10s 5

The game got under way building on the success of the opening game of the season with an early goal from Ryan Stokes which was added to shortly after with a goal from Lee Chambers before St Ives opened their scoring.

This woke up the Ospreys who quickly added to their goal tally with goals from Toby Mora and a second from Ryan Stokes but St Ives continued to battle and got rewards for their work with a second goal before Toby Mora closed the scoring for the first half.

At half time there was a change of keeper for the Ospreys giving Adam Collins a run out and was worth the change as he opened the scoring of the second half before his replacement, Lee Chambers saved a Dubious St Ives penalty.

Toby Mora then went on to get his hat-trick before St Ives really got back in to the game with two quick goals prompting a return to goal for Adam Collins and before the Ospreys could rearrange themselves St Ives got a second penalty which was again saved this time by Adam Collins.

However St Ives' hard work paid off when they got their fifth of the game.

The Ospreys, now back to their starting line up, got themselves sorted and increasing the pressure. Lee Chambers scored his second and they quickly completed his hat-trick.



Tehidy Park Golf Club held their Knockout Finals day on Saturday.

RESULTS: Wicketts (Mixed): Jane & Mark Hollis; runners-up Margaret Richards and James Gibbon.

BEN WILLS TROPHY (Ladies): Louise Eslick; runner-up Beverley PAscoe.

T-PEGS CRYSTAL BOWL (Seniors): Stuart Holt; runner-up Bob Portch.

T-PEGS BETTER BALL (Seniors): David Ryder & Colin Martin; runners-up Mike Fox & Graham Painter.

BICKFORD SMITH: David Hughes; runner-up: David Goldsworthy.

ROSEWARNE TROPHY (36 holes): Nigel Hosking & David Goldsworthy; runner-up: Brian Godliman & Mark Paull; semi-finalist: James Barnard & David Hughes; MIKE Williams & Andy Kearney.

GRYLLS (36 HOLES): David O'Mahony; runner-up David Hughes.

WALTERS & BARBARY ECLECTIC (Gross): Chris Hoyle; runner-up Thomas Rowe.

WALTERS & BARBARY ECLECTIC (Nett): Chris Hoyle; runner-up Ryan Reed

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters