Login Register

Callington beat conditions to seal Charity Cup semi-final place

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: February 09, 2014

Phil Lowry scored a hat-trick for Godolphin Atlantic on Saturday

Comments (0)

CONGRATULATIONS to the four South West Peninsula League clubs who managed to stage a football match, against all odds, this past weekend.

Two of the games were in the quarter-finals of the Durning Lawrence Cornwall Charity Cup and two in the Peninsula Premier Division. But spare a thought for the hard-working crew at Exmouth Town, who looked to have beaten the conditions until a late hailstorm rendered their Southern Road pitch unplayable for the Premier Division fixture against Bovey Tracey.

The outstanding Cornwall Senior Cup third-round tie between St Dennis and Launceston was postponed for the sixth time, and the teams will try again tomorrow.

The game is officially at Pennygillam but, should the Clarets be able to find a 3G pitch, then it is likely they will use that option to get the tie played.

One team who have already used that option is Callington Town and it paid off for them as they won through to the semi-finals of the Charity Cup with a 2-0 victory over Truro City on Callington College’s 3G pitch.

This was not the ideal situation for either team, as the artificial surface, swirling wind and driving rain did not lend itself to flowing football, but needs must and at least the game was played.

After a goalless first half, Callington required just six minutes of the second period to break the deadlock, thanks to a fine individual goal from Luke Avis-Riordhan, but it was not until stoppage time that substitute Carlton Farnham fired home from 15 yards to complete the scoring.

Dobwalls are looking to go one better than last season after gaining some revenge for Sticker beating them in last season’s final, as they knocked out the holders by winning 3-1 at Burngullow Park.

Paul Andrews’ side took a ninth-minute lead with top scorer Martyn Hake slotting the ball past Ryan Holland at the far post.

Harry Hook then beat Holland in a race for the ball to steer his shot home 15 minutes from full-time, but it was not until stoppage time that the final two goals were scored.

Substitute Joe Knight finished off a self-made opening to make it 3-0 before Jake Street’s 20-yard effort completed the scoring two minutes later.

Andy Bowker’s return to Falmouth Town was not the occasion he had hoped for as his new Tavistock side lost 2-0 to the only other team that the experienced striker had managed.

Bowker’s side were certainly rusty, as this was their first game since Saturday, December 14, and they were not helped by Dan Richardson firing Town in to a second-minute lead.

John Dent’s side were assured of extending their unbeaten run to four games – and keeping their first clean-sheet of the season at Bickland Park – when Rob Wearne arrived at the far post to head home their second three minutes in to the second half.

Godolphin Atlantic’s work to get their game on was rewarded when they beat battling Cullompton Rangers 4-2 at Godolphin Way.

The hosts were helped by a hat-trick from striker Phil Lowry, his first from the penalty spot. Jake Hartigan scored their fourth while Rangers had Sam Kempt and Marcus Fansom hitting their replies.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters