Login Register

Bude chimney fire leads to latest call to sweep chimneys

By CMScott  |  Posted: November 30, 2013

By Scott Hamilton

Cornwall_Fire

Cornwall_Fire

Comments (0)

FIREFIGHTERS from Bude found a chimney well alight when they responded to a 999 call in Bramble Hill yesterday afternoon.

One appliance from Bude attended the incident.

The fire was extinguished using chimney rods and a stirrup pump.

The crew then checked the area using the thermal image camera.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service have dealt with a number of chimney fires in recent weeks and have urged people using their fires and log burners for the first time this winter to get it swept first.

A spokesperson said: "The cost of a chimney sweep is very small - from approximately £30 - when compared to dealing with the damage and cost of repair from a fire.

The fire service have released these simple tips to greatly reduce your chances of having a fire in your chimney:

* Sweep the chimney before use

* Ensure a fireguard is in front of the fire at all times

* Sparkguards can prevent a serious property fire

* Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house

* Never use petrol or paraffin to light your fire

* Make sure you have a working smoke alarm and check it works regularly!

The National Association of Chimney Sweeps has a network of fully insured members throughout the country, who work to a Code of Practice.

For more details telephone 01785 811732 or email office@nacs.org.uk

Or visit the the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps website.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES