Login Register

Brook's early double helps Newquay through tricky tie

By KevinMarriott  |  Posted: December 01, 2012

Comments (0)

Lanreath 1, Newquay 3
Newquiay came through a potentially tricky Cornwall Senior Cup second round tie at Rally Park on Saturday with a disciplined display against a lively Lanreath side.
Any nerves the Peppermints had about their task against the Cornish Guardian East Cornwall Premier League side were settled by two Danny Brook goals in the opening 22 minutes.
And although youngster Jay Hussey pulled a goal back for Lanreath just after half-time, Newquay moved up a gear and made sure of their progress with a scrambled Mark Vercesi goal after 63 minutes.
On a chilly and occasionally wet afternoon, Newquay got their tempo right from the start, pouring forward in their search for an early breakthrough.
And it came in the ninth minute with a calm finish from Brook after his direct run through the Lanreath defence put the Peppermints ahead.
Brook continued to be a dominant presence as Newquay enjoyed the greater possession and he struck again in the 22nd minute with a close range finish to maqke it 2-0.
Lanreath striker James Phelps, who provided the home side's best moments in attack, came close in the 39th minute with an angled drive which finished just wide but a minute later Newquay should have extended their lead.
Luke Weldhen was played through the middle and faced a one-on-one with Lanreath goalkeeper Scott Luscombe, but his right foot shot bobbled inches wide to keep the ECPL side's hopes alive.
And they cashed in nine minutes into the second half when Newquay failed to deal with a Lee Riley corner, and Hussey rose at the near post to head into the net.
Unfortunately Lanreath defender Bradley Powell lost his cool on the hour with a knee high challenge on Ollie Deadman which left the Newquay striker requiring two minutes of treatment.
Powell was lucky to stay on the pitch – his punishment was only a yellow card – but his team paid a heavier price when Vercesi forced in the resulting free kick to clinch victory.
Powell did see red in the final minute, and it was a straight red, for foul and abusive language aimed at the referee.
Lanreath: Luscombe, Hussey (Brown 86), A Collins, Powell, Riley, Watterson, Libby (Facey 74), Phelps, J Collins, Magee, N Collins.
Goal: Hussey (54).
Yellow card: Powell (60).
Red card: Powell (90).
Newquay: Trudgian, Farrant, Simcox, Kemp, Brook, Trott, Vercesi, Middleton (Harris 75), Weldhen (Piggott 68), Deadman (Bray-Evans 75), David.
Goals: Brook (9 & 22); Vercesi (61).
Referee: Anthony Allen.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters