Login Register
 °

Bomb squad tackle Bude World War Two "depth charge''

By CG_Oscar  |  Posted: March 06, 2014

BombSquad

Bomb disposal experts ordered the beach to be cordoned off

Comments (0)

Bomb disposal experts rushed to Bude after a report that a deadly World War Two depth charge had been found on a beach.

The solid cylindrical device was uncovered following the recent storms and shifting sands on Middle Beach, forcing the area to be cordoned off.

Police and an MOD bomb disposal unit were unable to tackle the cylinder on Wednesday due to tidal conditions but returned yesterday when the tide receded.

A Devon and Cornwall police spokesman said: “ Police attended the scene again, with a bomb disposal team to investigate the item. Due to its size and solid nature, initially the MOD Bomb Disposal Team had concerns with regards the viability of the device, and requested an initial 100 metre cordon around it.

“Other local police units assisted by coastguards started to implement a cordon, whilst the bomb disposal team continued their technical investigation of the device.’’

But said the spokesman: “It was later identified as possibly being a very old steel grass roller possibly stolen in 2002 from the Bude Cricket Club situated nearby.’’

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES